Apr 26, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
UNLV head coach Dave Rice was briefly reported as a name in the running for the South Florida job this offseason, but the Runnin’ Rebels locked him up for two additional years on Friday as the school announced the extension in a release.
Rice’s contract now runs through the 2018-19 season and includes an incentive package based on academic and athletic success. Rice had three years left on his old five-year deal which was given to him in September of 2012.
The 2014-15 season at UNLV will be Rice’s fourth year with the program as he’s compiled a 71-32 record.
Rice is also receiving some heat after missing the postseason though, as noted in this story from Lenita Powers of the Reno Journal-Gazette and this is from a member that voted in favor of the contract extension and not the two that voted against it.
Cedric Creer, a Las Vegas regent, voted in favor of the contract extension and the chance for Rice to add $100,000 to his base salary, but he also noted Rice’s team had not done all that well in the last season.
“You didn’t make a tournament and not eveything is great at the basketball program,” Creer said.
“And I don’t think we should give a two-year extension when he has three years left on his current contract,” he said. “Would we do that with a (university or college) president or the chancellor? We didn’t even make the NIT and that, to me, is not acceptable for our UNLV basketball program and the history wer have had.”
Rice will have a McDonald’s All-American in Rashad Vaughn coming in next season as well as a great shot blocker in Goodluck Okonoboh and a good wing in Dwayne Morgan so UNLV should have some good talent coming in.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)