Apr 26, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
UNLV head coach Dave Rice was briefly reported as a name in the running for the South Florida job this offseason, but the Runnin’ Rebels locked him up for two additional years on Friday as the school announced the extension in a release.
Rice’s contract now runs through the 2018-19 season and includes an incentive package based on academic and athletic success. Rice had three years left on his old five-year deal which was given to him in September of 2012.
The 2014-15 season at UNLV will be Rice’s fourth year with the program as he’s compiled a 71-32 record.
Rice is also receiving some heat after missing the postseason though, as noted in this story from Lenita Powers of the Reno Journal-Gazette and this is from a member that voted in favor of the contract extension and not the two that voted against it.
Cedric Creer, a Las Vegas regent, voted in favor of the contract extension and the chance for Rice to add $100,000 to his base salary, but he also noted Rice’s team had not done all that well in the last season.
“You didn’t make a tournament and not eveything is great at the basketball program,” Creer said.
“And I don’t think we should give a two-year extension when he has three years left on his current contract,” he said. “Would we do that with a (university or college) president or the chancellor? We didn’t even make the NIT and that, to me, is not acceptable for our UNLV basketball program and the history wer have had.”
Rice will have a McDonald’s All-American in Rashad Vaughn coming in next season as well as a great shot blocker in Goodluck Okonoboh and a good wing in Dwayne Morgan so UNLV should have some good talent coming in.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)