Apr 26, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
UNLV head coach Dave Rice was briefly reported as a name in the running for the South Florida job this offseason, but the Runnin’ Rebels locked him up for two additional years on Friday as the school announced the extension in a release.
Rice’s contract now runs through the 2018-19 season and includes an incentive package based on academic and athletic success. Rice had three years left on his old five-year deal which was given to him in September of 2012.
The 2014-15 season at UNLV will be Rice’s fourth year with the program as he’s compiled a 71-32 record.
Rice is also receiving some heat after missing the postseason though, as noted in this story from Lenita Powers of the Reno Journal-Gazette and this is from a member that voted in favor of the contract extension and not the two that voted against it.
Cedric Creer, a Las Vegas regent, voted in favor of the contract extension and the chance for Rice to add $100,000 to his base salary, but he also noted Rice’s team had not done all that well in the last season.
“You didn’t make a tournament and not eveything is great at the basketball program,” Creer said.
“And I don’t think we should give a two-year extension when he has three years left on his current contract,” he said. “Would we do that with a (university or college) president or the chancellor? We didn’t even make the NIT and that, to me, is not acceptable for our UNLV basketball program and the history wer have had.”
Rice will have a McDonald’s All-American in Rashad Vaughn coming in next season as well as a great shot blocker in Goodluck Okonoboh and a good wing in Dwayne Morgan so UNLV should have some good talent coming in.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)