Apr 26, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
With Will DiIorio out of eligibility and Royce Woolridge having made the decision to transfer, adding perimeter depth was one of the first items of business for new Washington State head coach Ernie Kent. And according to Josh Gershon of Scout.com the Cougars have added another guard to the program, with point guard Jackie Davis Jr. verbally committing to the Pac-12 school (subscription required).
A 6-foot-3 product of Rolling Hills Prep in southern California, Davis is the third member of Kent’s first recruiting class. Of those three players two are point guards, with Tramaine Isabell being the other. Davis also held offers from schools such as Penn State, Loyola Marymount and San Francisco.
With Davis and Isabell and rising sophomore Ikenna Ireogbu in the fold, the hope for Washington State is that they’ll have enough ball-handlers to help alleviate some of the pressure on rising senior DaVonté Lacy. Lacy averaged 19.4 points per game last season despite having to deal with multiple injuries (undergoing an appendectomy, and then having to deal with a rib injury suffered in January).
On the perimeter Washington State also returns wings Que Johnson and Dexter Kernich-Drew, with the former averaging 9.5 points per game in 2013-14.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)