Apr 26, 2014, 8:39 PM EST
As the head coach at Wisconsin since 2001, Bo Ryan’s led the program to 321 wins and this past season the Final Four for the first time since 2000. With that being the case the school saw fit to reward the head coach with a contract extension, and on Saturday the school athletic board has approved that decision.
Ryan’s deal will now run through the 2018-19 season, and he stands to receive a $100,000 raise each year of the deal. Ryan, who according to the Associated Press made around $2.3 million in 2013-14, received a $60,000 bonus as a result of his leading the Badgers to the Final Four.
Wisconsin finished the 2013-14 season with a 30-8 record, falling to Kentucky in the national semifinals. And with Ben Brust being the lone departing starter, the expectation is that the Badgers will be a national title contender in 2014-15.
Frank Kaminsky, one of the nation’s most improved players, will be back as will forward Sam Dekker and guards Josh Gasser and Traevon Jackson. Wisconsin will also return multiple bench contributors (Nigel Hayes, Duje Dukan and Bronson Koenig), and incoming freshman Ethan Happ has received positive reviews for his play with Team USA at the Albert Schweitzer Games in Germany.
The United States team finished second in the event, falling to Italy in the title game, but Happ was named tournament MVP.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)