Apr 26, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
As the head coach at Wisconsin since 2001, Bo Ryan’s led the program to 321 wins and this past season the Final Four for the first time since 2000. With that being the case the school saw fit to reward the head coach with a contract extension, and on Saturday the school athletic board has approved that decision.
Ryan’s deal will now run through the 2018-19 season, and he stands to receive a $100,000 raise each year of the deal. Ryan, who according to the Associated Press made around $2.3 million in 2013-14, received a $60,000 bonus as a result of his leading the Badgers to the Final Four.
Wisconsin finished the 2013-14 season with a 30-8 record, falling to Kentucky in the national semifinals. And with Ben Brust being the lone departing starter, the expectation is that the Badgers will be a national title contender in 2014-15.
Frank Kaminsky, one of the nation’s most improved players, will be back as will forward Sam Dekker and guards Josh Gasser and Traevon Jackson. Wisconsin will also return multiple bench contributors (Nigel Hayes, Duje Dukan and Bronson Koenig), and incoming freshman Ethan Happ has received positive reviews for his play with Team USA at the Albert Schweitzer Games in Germany.
The United States team finished second in the event, falling to Italy in the title game, but Happ was named tournament MVP.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)