Apr 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
PITTSBURGH, Pa. — Traci Carter has built a reputation for being exactly the kind of talented-but-gritty point guard you would expect to come out of Philadelphia, but no amount of toughness would have helped the No. 91 recruit in the Class of 2015 get on the court during April’s only live evaluation period.
Carter to his meniscus after landing awkwardly during a workout earlier this month, undergoing surgery on the knee two weeks ago. The procedure was successful, but it will keep him off the court for an extended period of time. Carter said that the recovery time is between four-and-six months, but his AAU coach Terrell Myers told NBCSports.com the hope is to have him healthy by the time July’s all-important live-period begins.
Those three weeks in July are the most important three weeks of the recruiting process for guys like Carter. A known-commodity in Philly, Carter already holds offers from the likes of La Salle, Saint Joseph’s and Temple.
The summer before a prospect’s senior year is when a local star turns into a national commodity, however. A kid like Carter can have a successful month and launch himself to a Power Five conference school.
“It’s frustrating,” Carter said.
Cincinnati and Penn State have both already offered. Tennessee did as well, but that was when Cuonzo Martin was still their head coach.
For now, Carter has to hope that his reputation will keep schools interested and that his rehab will be successful enough to get him back on the court in front of coaches in July.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)