Apr 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
PITTSBURGH, Pa. — Traci Carter has built a reputation for being exactly the kind of talented-but-gritty point guard you would expect to come out of Philadelphia, but no amount of toughness would have helped the No. 91 recruit in the Class of 2015 get on the court during April’s only live evaluation period.
Carter to his meniscus after landing awkwardly during a workout earlier this month, undergoing surgery on the knee two weeks ago. The procedure was successful, but it will keep him off the court for an extended period of time. Carter said that the recovery time is between four-and-six months, but his AAU coach Terrell Myers told NBCSports.com the hope is to have him healthy by the time July’s all-important live-period begins.
Those three weeks in July are the most important three weeks of the recruiting process for guys like Carter. A known-commodity in Philly, Carter already holds offers from the likes of La Salle, Saint Joseph’s and Temple.
The summer before a prospect’s senior year is when a local star turns into a national commodity, however. A kid like Carter can have a successful month and launch himself to a Power Five conference school.
“It’s frustrating,” Carter said.
Cincinnati and Penn State have both already offered. Tennessee did as well, but that was when Cuonzo Martin was still their head coach.
For now, Carter has to hope that his reputation will keep schools interested and that his rehab will be successful enough to get him back on the court in front of coaches in July.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)