Apr 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
PITTSBURGH, Pa. — Traci Carter has built a reputation for being exactly the kind of talented-but-gritty point guard you would expect to come out of Philadelphia, but no amount of toughness would have helped the No. 91 recruit in the Class of 2015 get on the court during April’s only live evaluation period.
Carter to his meniscus after landing awkwardly during a workout earlier this month, undergoing surgery on the knee two weeks ago. The procedure was successful, but it will keep him off the court for an extended period of time. Carter said that the recovery time is between four-and-six months, but his AAU coach Terrell Myers told NBCSports.com the hope is to have him healthy by the time July’s all-important live-period begins.
Those three weeks in July are the most important three weeks of the recruiting process for guys like Carter. A known-commodity in Philly, Carter already holds offers from the likes of La Salle, Saint Joseph’s and Temple.
The summer before a prospect’s senior year is when a local star turns into a national commodity, however. A kid like Carter can have a successful month and launch himself to a Power Five conference school.
“It’s frustrating,” Carter said.
Cincinnati and Penn State have both already offered. Tennessee did as well, but that was when Cuonzo Martin was still their head coach.
For now, Carter has to hope that his reputation will keep schools interested and that his rehab will be successful enough to get him back on the court in front of coaches in July.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 25
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (25)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)