Apr 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
PITTSBURGH, Pa. — Traci Carter has built a reputation for being exactly the kind of talented-but-gritty point guard you would expect to come out of Philadelphia, but no amount of toughness would have helped the No. 91 recruit in the Class of 2015 get on the court during April’s only live evaluation period.
Carter to his meniscus after landing awkwardly during a workout earlier this month, undergoing surgery on the knee two weeks ago. The procedure was successful, but it will keep him off the court for an extended period of time. Carter said that the recovery time is between four-and-six months, but his AAU coach Terrell Myers told NBCSports.com the hope is to have him healthy by the time July’s all-important live-period begins.
Those three weeks in July are the most important three weeks of the recruiting process for guys like Carter. A known-commodity in Philly, Carter already holds offers from the likes of La Salle, Saint Joseph’s and Temple.
The summer before a prospect’s senior year is when a local star turns into a national commodity, however. A kid like Carter can have a successful month and launch himself to a Power Five conference school.
“It’s frustrating,” Carter said.
Cincinnati and Penn State have both already offered. Tennessee did as well, but that was when Cuonzo Martin was still their head coach.
For now, Carter has to hope that his reputation will keep schools interested and that his rehab will be successful enough to get him back on the court in front of coaches in July.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)