Apr 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
PITTSBURGH, Pa. — Traci Carter has built a reputation for being exactly the kind of talented-but-gritty point guard you would expect to come out of Philadelphia, but no amount of toughness would have helped the No. 91 recruit in the Class of 2015 get on the court during April’s only live evaluation period.
Carter to his meniscus after landing awkwardly during a workout earlier this month, undergoing surgery on the knee two weeks ago. The procedure was successful, but it will keep him off the court for an extended period of time. Carter said that the recovery time is between four-and-six months, but his AAU coach Terrell Myers told NBCSports.com the hope is to have him healthy by the time July’s all-important live-period begins.
Those three weeks in July are the most important three weeks of the recruiting process for guys like Carter. A known-commodity in Philly, Carter already holds offers from the likes of La Salle, Saint Joseph’s and Temple.
The summer before a prospect’s senior year is when a local star turns into a national commodity, however. A kid like Carter can have a successful month and launch himself to a Power Five conference school.
“It’s frustrating,” Carter said.
Cincinnati and Penn State have both already offered. Tennessee did as well, but that was when Cuonzo Martin was still their head coach.
For now, Carter has to hope that his reputation will keep schools interested and that his rehab will be successful enough to get him back on the court in front of coaches in July.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)