Apr 27, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Last weekend it was reported that former Marshall guard Kareem Canty, who was one of Conference USA’s best guards in his debut campaign, made the decision to transfer to Auburn on the heels of his visit to the SEC school. However those reports proved to be hasty, with the Harlem, N.Y. native ultimately deciding that he would take more visits before making a final decision.
As first reported by ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman on Saturday, the point guard has set up three more visits: South Florida, Penn State and UNLV. Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com supplied the dates of Canty’s three remaining visits:
The 6-foot-1 Canty will visit South Florida May 2-4, Penn State May 9-11 and UNLV May 12-14.
“A decision will be made after UNLV,” Canty said by text.
The most interesting of those four choices may be UNLV, which already has one of the nation’s best recruiting classes and has one available scholarship remaining. The question with regards to that final scholarship is how much of an impact will the recent loss of power forward Khem Birch (NBA) have on the thought process of Dave Rice and his coaching staff.
While the Runnin’ Rebels will have some talented pieces in the front court, including freshman Goodluck Okonoboh, their most experienced player is sophomore Christian Wood and they aren’t particularly deep at either power forward or center as it is. As for Auburn and South Florida, both programs have undergone coaching changes this offseason and need players, period.
The Bulls, now led by Orlando Antigua, have lost six players to transfer and Bruce Pearl isn’t working with a full cupboard at Auburn either. As for Penn State, with D.J. Newbill being a senior this season adding Canty would help account for his departure in 2015-16.
Canty’s one of the best available transfers at this time, and when he makes his decision one of the four programs mentioned above will be getting a very talented player. Which school is the best fit for Canty? He’ll let us know at some point next month.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)