Apr 27, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Iowa freshman guard Peter Jok was arrested early on Saturday morning for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicating in Iowa City.
Jok, who was riding a moped, was stopped by police around 2:40 a.m. after making a turn from the wrong lane. Along with the infraction, Jok was also missing a safety flag and a cover over a tailight, according to the police report. His blood-alcohol level was .082. Jok turned 20 last month.
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery is in a recruiting trip in California, and will wait until he arrives on campus to handle Jok’s arrest.
“When I return to Iowa City, and after being fully informed of the situation, we’ll deal with the facts at that time and operate in accordance with the rules and regulations of our student-athlete Code of Conduct,” McCaffery told the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier.
The Hawkeyes were one of the deepest teams in the country last season with 10 players averaging more than 10 minutes per game. Jok averaged 9.4 minutes of action. With leading scorer Roy Devyn Marble exhausting his eligibility, it seemed fit that the 6-foot-6 Jok would absorb some of his play time.
Jok averaged 4.4 points per game as a freshman. He scored 10 points off 4-of-5 (2-of-3 from three) shooting in Iowa’s loss to Tennessee in the First Four of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)