Apr 27, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
On Feb. 22, Syracuse lost to Duke with a controversial offensive foul called against C.J. Fair. At the time of the foul, Duke led the Orange 60-58 with 10.4 seconds remaining. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim erupted following the charge call, and was immediately ejected.
Aside from Boeheim’s tantrum and language toward officials, one of the notable images from that sequence was Boeheim’s jacket flailing around his arms. That image inspired a series of Internet memes.
On Saturday night, that incident was revisited as part of the program’s annual Basket Ball, a gala that raises money for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, which “strives to enrich the lives of kids in need within our Central New York community, as well as, provide support for eliminating cancer through research and advocacy.” The jacket Boeheim wore during his ejection was auctioned off, being sold for a reported $14,000.
— Stacy Loeb, MD (@LoebStacy) April 26, 2014
The ejection ended with Duke securing a 66-60 win, which for Syracuse was its second loss in as many games. The previously 25-0 Orange would drop six of their last nine games, including a Round 0f 32 exit at the hands of Dayton in the 2014 NCAA Tournament.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)