Apr 27, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Nine days after announcing that he would return to UCLA for his junior season, guard Jordan Adams had a change of heart. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, Adams has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft. The decision falls on the day of the NBA’s early entry deadline.
Adams, who averaged 17.4 points per game and earned first team All Pac-12 honors, was projected to be a late-first round selection by Draft Express before announcing that he would return to school. He’s the third Bruin to enter the NBA Draft this offseason, with point guard Kyle Anderson and shooting guard Zach LaVine doing so shortly after the end of UCLA’s season.
And with those three departures and the graduation of forwards David and Travis Wear, head coach Steve Alford has a lot of production to replace in 2014-15. UCLA’s leading returning scorer will be Norman Powell, who early this month was thought by some to be considering the possibility of turning pro as well. Powell averaged 11.4 points per game and was a much-improved offensive player in his first season playing for Alford.
Also returning is rising sophomore guard Bryce Alford, who averaged 8.0 points and 2.8 assists per game as one of the first two players off the bench (LaVine being the other). UCLA adds a four-member recruiting class led by forward Kevon Looney and center Thomas Welch, and they’ll also have guard Isaac Hamilton. Hamilton was forced to sit out all of last season his appeal to be released from the National Letter of Intent he signed to attend UTEP was denied.
But even with the talent due to arrive on campus, the loss of Adams hurts for a team that was thought to be one of Arizona’s biggest challengers in the Pac-12 with the high-scoring guard on board.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 1
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)