Apr 27, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
The April Live recruiting period kicked off on Friday night. Among the notable players in this weekend’s slate of grassroots tournaments was Callaway High (Miss.) lead guard Malik Newman, the top overall recruit in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.
The 6-foot-3 Newman is playing with Mo Williams Academy at the Jayhawk Invitational in Olathe, Kan. Through four games in the Under Armour Association, Newman is averaging 16.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. He’s teaming up in the back court with Prime Prep Academy (Texas) shooting guard Terrance Ferguson, a top-10 prospect in the Class of 2016.
Twice during the Jayhawk Invitational, Newman set up Ferguson for highlight-reel dunks — one with an alley-oop, and the other by way of a three-quarters court outlet pass resulting in a one-handed flush.
Newman holds offers from Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky and Memphis among others. The 6-foot-6 Ferguson, who is averaging 12.2 points per game in the UAA, has received offers from Baylor, Houston, New Mexico, Oklahoma State and SMU.
The Mo Williams Academy back court is participating in the same event as the No. 3 overall recruit in Class of 2015 Diamond Stone, a 6-foot-10 center from Dominican High (Wisc.). Stone recorded 36 points and 16 rebounds on Friday night in the Jayhawk Invitational, playing for Young Legends.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0