Apr 27, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
The April Live recruiting period kicked off on Friday night. Among the notable players in this weekend’s slate of grassroots tournaments was Callaway High (Miss.) lead guard Malik Newman, the top overall recruit in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.
The 6-foot-3 Newman is playing with Mo Williams Academy at the Jayhawk Invitational in Olathe, Kan. Through four games in the Under Armour Association, Newman is averaging 16.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. He’s teaming up in the back court with Prime Prep Academy (Texas) shooting guard Terrance Ferguson, a top-10 prospect in the Class of 2016.
Twice during the Jayhawk Invitational, Newman set up Ferguson for highlight-reel dunks — one with an alley-oop, and the other by way of a three-quarters court outlet pass resulting in a one-handed flush.
Newman holds offers from Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky and Memphis among others. The 6-foot-6 Ferguson, who is averaging 12.2 points per game in the UAA, has received offers from Baylor, Houston, New Mexico, Oklahoma State and SMU.
The Mo Williams Academy back court is participating in the same event as the No. 3 overall recruit in Class of 2015 Diamond Stone, a 6-foot-10 center from Dominican High (Wisc.). Stone recorded 36 points and 16 rebounds on Friday night in the Jayhawk Invitational, playing for Young Legends.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 1
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)