Apr 27, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
The April Live recruiting period kicked off on Friday night. Among the notable players in this weekend’s slate of grassroots tournaments was Callaway High (Miss.) lead guard Malik Newman, the top overall recruit in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.
The 6-foot-3 Newman is playing with Mo Williams Academy at the Jayhawk Invitational in Olathe, Kan. Through four games in the Under Armour Association, Newman is averaging 16.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. He’s teaming up in the back court with Prime Prep Academy (Texas) shooting guard Terrance Ferguson, a top-10 prospect in the Class of 2016.
Twice during the Jayhawk Invitational, Newman set up Ferguson for highlight-reel dunks — one with an alley-oop, and the other by way of a three-quarters court outlet pass resulting in a one-handed flush.
Newman holds offers from Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky and Memphis among others. The 6-foot-6 Ferguson, who is averaging 12.2 points per game in the UAA, has received offers from Baylor, Houston, New Mexico, Oklahoma State and SMU.
The Mo Williams Academy back court is participating in the same event as the No. 3 overall recruit in Class of 2015 Diamond Stone, a 6-foot-10 center from Dominican High (Wisc.). Stone recorded 36 points and 16 rebounds on Friday night in the Jayhawk Invitational, playing for Young Legends.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)