Apr 27, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
After averaging 4.8 points and 2.6 rebounds per game in his first season as a member of the Utah basketball program, guard/forward Princeton Onwas will not be a member of Larry Krystkowiak’s team in 2014-15 according to Dirk Facer of the Deseret News. Onwas, who played at Navarro JC in Texas before joining the Utah program, started 11 of the 31 games in which he played last season.
Onwas, a very athletic 6-foot-5 wing, made his biggest impact on the Utah rotation during the final six weeks of the season. And after scoring 12 points in a home win over Arizona State on February 23, Onwas played at least 21 minutes in each of Utah’s final six games. During non-conference play Onwas reached double digits in three consecutive games, including a 14-point outing in a win over Savannah State.
From a scholarship standpoint Onwas’ departure puts Utah right at the 13-scholarship limit, with this move coming a couple days after 7-footer Jakob Poeltl signed a National Letter of Intent to join the program.
Outside of Onwas the Utes return every member of the rotation that won 21 games and reached the Postseason NIT in 2013-14. With guard Delon Wright and forward Jordan Loveridge leading the way for a group that will be joined by a talented recruiting class, 2014-15 is seen as the season in which Utah can reach the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2009.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)