Apr 27, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
After averaging 4.8 points and 2.6 rebounds per game in his first season as a member of the Utah basketball program, guard/forward Princeton Onwas will not be a member of Larry Krystkowiak’s team in 2014-15 according to Dirk Facer of the Deseret News. Onwas, who played at Navarro JC in Texas before joining the Utah program, started 11 of the 31 games in which he played last season.
Onwas, a very athletic 6-foot-5 wing, made his biggest impact on the Utah rotation during the final six weeks of the season. And after scoring 12 points in a home win over Arizona State on February 23, Onwas played at least 21 minutes in each of Utah’s final six games. During non-conference play Onwas reached double digits in three consecutive games, including a 14-point outing in a win over Savannah State.
From a scholarship standpoint Onwas’ departure puts Utah right at the 13-scholarship limit, with this move coming a couple days after 7-footer Jakob Poeltl signed a National Letter of Intent to join the program.
Outside of Onwas the Utes return every member of the rotation that won 21 games and reached the Postseason NIT in 2013-14. With guard Delon Wright and forward Jordan Loveridge leading the way for a group that will be joined by a talented recruiting class, 2014-15 is seen as the season in which Utah can reach the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2009.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)