Apr 28, 2014, 11:58 PM EST
Oklahoma State senior center Mason Cox only played 57 minutes during his three-year career as a walk-on for the Cowboys. But now the 6-foot-10 center might have found a new calling as Cox reportedly did well at an Australian Football League combine.
According to a story from the AFL’s Callum Twomey, Cox performed well at the three-day camp and was the tallest player in the history of the combine.
In front of recruiters from six AFL clubs who attended the three-day camp, Cox, 23, impressed with his speed and agility for a player his size, and his ability to handle the oval-shaped ball.
“He ran three seconds flat for the 20-metre sprint, and 11.59 minutes for the three-kilometre time trial,” said Kevin Sheehan, the AFL’s national talent manager.
“But it was more his skill overhead and his hands. He’s mobile, agile, and a good decision-maker. He was the absolute standout, no doubt.”
Cox has had an interesting sports career. He’s gone from soccer goalie in high school, to Brittney Griner imitator for the Oklahoma State women’s basketball team, to walk-on for the men’s basketball team.
It’s no surprise Cox is opening some eyes, because he seems to be a pretty good athlete at a number of different things for someone who is 6-foot-10.
The senior never made much of an impact on the basketball court at Oklahoma State, but maybe he’s found a new sport.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)