Apr 28, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Oregon State had already lost Hallice Cooke to transfer in recent weeks and now the Beavers will lose another returning player as a source confirmed to NBCSports.com that junior point guard Challe Barton will forego his senior season to play professionally overseas.
The 6-foot-3 Barton started the 2013-14 season as a starter but after a demotion to Cooke, Barton played just 12 of the final 18 games and played double-digit minutes twice. For his junior season, the native of Sweden averaged three points, 1,1 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game.
Barton started 25 games during his Oregon State career but never made much of a contribution on the stat sheet. Barton will test his game overseas and last summer he was one of the final players cut from the Swedish national team.
As Connor Letourneau of the Oregonian notes, Barton’s father, Charles Barton, is also a longtime European professional coach for teams like Sweden’s Gothia Basket and Germany’s Skyliners Frankfurt.
Oregon State will now look to returning freshman point guard Malcolm Duvivier and junior college transfer Gary Payton II to handle the ball. Duvivier averaged 3.1 points and under half an assist a game last season while Payton II averaged 14.1 points, 7.9 rebounds and 3.8 assists for Salt Lake Community College, a team that made the NJCAA Division I Championships Sweet 16.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)