Apr 28, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Oregon State had already lost Hallice Cooke to transfer in recent weeks and now the Beavers will lose another returning player as a source confirmed to NBCSports.com that junior point guard Challe Barton will forego his senior season to play professionally overseas.
The 6-foot-3 Barton started the 2013-14 season as a starter but after a demotion to Cooke, Barton played just 12 of the final 18 games and played double-digit minutes twice. For his junior season, the native of Sweden averaged three points, 1,1 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game.
Barton started 25 games during his Oregon State career but never made much of a contribution on the stat sheet. Barton will test his game overseas and last summer he was one of the final players cut from the Swedish national team.
As Connor Letourneau of the Oregonian notes, Barton’s father, Charles Barton, is also a longtime European professional coach for teams like Sweden’s Gothia Basket and Germany’s Skyliners Frankfurt.
Oregon State will now look to returning freshman point guard Malcolm Duvivier and junior college transfer Gary Payton II to handle the ball. Duvivier averaged 3.1 points and under half an assist a game last season while Payton II averaged 14.1 points, 7.9 rebounds and 3.8 assists for Salt Lake Community College, a team that made the NJCAA Division I Championships Sweet 16.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)