Apr 28, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Creighton lost freshman guard Darian Harris to transfer over the weekend a source told NBCSports.com. Head coach Greg McDermott told Steve Pivovar of the Omaha World-Herald that the 6-foot-6 redshirt was transferring in the original report.
“Darian has decided to pursue a school closer to home that would offer a better chance for immediate playing time,’’ McDermott said to The World-Herald. “We appreciate his efforts this season and wish him all the best moving forward.’’
The move benefits both parties. Harris can transfer to a school closer to home in Springdale, Arkansas and the Bluejays get a scholarship to upgrade its roster. Harris played three minutes in Creighton’s exhibition win over Northern State before redshirting.
Creighton can now pursue Nevada transfer Cole Huff, a 6-foot-8 forward who took a visit to Omaha on Sunday and also has visits lined up for Dayton and Iowa, per Pivovar. Huff is certainly a target for Creighton, but they could also pursue another transfer or a late signee.
Creighton already has a recruiting class consisting of Colorado wing Ronnie Harrell and Texas wing Leon Gilmore, both Rivals.com top 150 players in the 2014 class.
The Bluejays also picked up an important transfer this offseason when Boston point guard Maurice Watson Jr. picked Creighton.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)