Apr 28, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Creighton lost freshman guard Darian Harris to transfer over the weekend a source told NBCSports.com. Head coach Greg McDermott told Steve Pivovar of the Omaha World-Herald that the 6-foot-6 redshirt was transferring in the original report.
“Darian has decided to pursue a school closer to home that would offer a better chance for immediate playing time,’’ McDermott said to The World-Herald. “We appreciate his efforts this season and wish him all the best moving forward.’’
The move benefits both parties. Harris can transfer to a school closer to home in Springdale, Arkansas and the Bluejays get a scholarship to upgrade its roster. Harris played three minutes in Creighton’s exhibition win over Northern State before redshirting.
Creighton can now pursue Nevada transfer Cole Huff, a 6-foot-8 forward who took a visit to Omaha on Sunday and also has visits lined up for Dayton and Iowa, per Pivovar. Huff is certainly a target for Creighton, but they could also pursue another transfer or a late signee.
Creighton already has a recruiting class consisting of Colorado wing Ronnie Harrell and Texas wing Leon Gilmore, both Rivals.com top 150 players in the 2014 class.
The Bluejays also picked up an important transfer this offseason when Boston point guard Maurice Watson Jr. picked Creighton.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)