Apr 28, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
Creighton lost freshman guard Darian Harris to transfer over the weekend a source told NBCSports.com. Head coach Greg McDermott told Steve Pivovar of the Omaha World-Herald that the 6-foot-6 redshirt was transferring in the original report.
“Darian has decided to pursue a school closer to home that would offer a better chance for immediate playing time,’’ McDermott said to The World-Herald. “We appreciate his efforts this season and wish him all the best moving forward.’’
The move benefits both parties. Harris can transfer to a school closer to home in Springdale, Arkansas and the Bluejays get a scholarship to upgrade its roster. Harris played three minutes in Creighton’s exhibition win over Northern State before redshirting.
Creighton can now pursue Nevada transfer Cole Huff, a 6-foot-8 forward who took a visit to Omaha on Sunday and also has visits lined up for Dayton and Iowa, per Pivovar. Huff is certainly a target for Creighton, but they could also pursue another transfer or a late signee.
Creighton already has a recruiting class consisting of Colorado wing Ronnie Harrell and Texas wing Leon Gilmore, both Rivals.com top 150 players in the 2014 class.
The Bluejays also picked up an important transfer this offseason when Boston point guard Maurice Watson Jr. picked Creighton.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)