Apr 28, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Creighton lost freshman guard Darian Harris to transfer over the weekend a source told NBCSports.com. Head coach Greg McDermott told Steve Pivovar of the Omaha World-Herald that the 6-foot-6 redshirt was transferring in the original report.
“Darian has decided to pursue a school closer to home that would offer a better chance for immediate playing time,’’ McDermott said to The World-Herald. “We appreciate his efforts this season and wish him all the best moving forward.’’
The move benefits both parties. Harris can transfer to a school closer to home in Springdale, Arkansas and the Bluejays get a scholarship to upgrade its roster. Harris played three minutes in Creighton’s exhibition win over Northern State before redshirting.
Creighton can now pursue Nevada transfer Cole Huff, a 6-foot-8 forward who took a visit to Omaha on Sunday and also has visits lined up for Dayton and Iowa, per Pivovar. Huff is certainly a target for Creighton, but they could also pursue another transfer or a late signee.
Creighton already has a recruiting class consisting of Colorado wing Ronnie Harrell and Texas wing Leon Gilmore, both Rivals.com top 150 players in the 2014 class.
The Bluejays also picked up an important transfer this offseason when Boston point guard Maurice Watson Jr. picked Creighton.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)