Apr 28, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
Creighton lost freshman guard Darian Harris to transfer over the weekend a source told NBCSports.com. Head coach Greg McDermott told Steve Pivovar of the Omaha World-Herald that the 6-foot-6 redshirt was transferring in the original report.
“Darian has decided to pursue a school closer to home that would offer a better chance for immediate playing time,’’ McDermott said to The World-Herald. “We appreciate his efforts this season and wish him all the best moving forward.’’
The move benefits both parties. Harris can transfer to a school closer to home in Springdale, Arkansas and the Bluejays get a scholarship to upgrade its roster. Harris played three minutes in Creighton’s exhibition win over Northern State before redshirting.
Creighton can now pursue Nevada transfer Cole Huff, a 6-foot-8 forward who took a visit to Omaha on Sunday and also has visits lined up for Dayton and Iowa, per Pivovar. Huff is certainly a target for Creighton, but they could also pursue another transfer or a late signee.
Creighton already has a recruiting class consisting of Colorado wing Ronnie Harrell and Texas wing Leon Gilmore, both Rivals.com top 150 players in the 2014 class.
The Bluejays also picked up an important transfer this offseason when Boston point guard Maurice Watson Jr. picked Creighton.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)