Apr 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
VCU freshman guard Jairus Lyles will transfer, the school announced on Monday. The 6-foot-2 guard out of DeMatha only played in 22 games and averaged 2.6 minutes per game during his freshman campaign.
Lyles struggled to find his shot during his freshman season as he went 2-for-20 for the season and 1-for-8 from the three-point line.
The Rams have so much depth returning at guard next season that Lyles would have had a tough time cracking the rotation for Shaka Smart’s team.
Treveon Graham, Briante Weber, and JeQuan Lewis all played significant minutes in the VCU backcourt and return next season and Lyles didn’t look very close to contributing in the Atlantic 10 based on the way he played last season.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)