Apr 30, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
After spending four seasons as head coach at Houston, James Dickey announced in late March that he was stepping down to attend to private family matters. And just over a month later Dickey has returned to the coaching ranks, returning to Stillwater to join Travis Ford’s coaching staff at Oklahoma State. The news was announced by the school Wednesday afternoon.
“I’m excited and honored and want to thank Coach Ford for the opportunity to join his staff. I have followed his playing and coaching career and have great respect for who he is and what he’s accomplished,” Dickey said in the school release. “I’m thrilled about returning to Oklahoma State and living in Stillwater. My family is here and this is a great place to live and work.
“Cowboy basketball is special and has a knowledgeable, passionate fan base and a very loyal, enthusiastic student body. It will be exciting to be back in historic Gallagher-Iba Arena. Coach Ford has a tremendous staff which I look forward to being a part of as we build on the great tradition of OSU basketball.”
Dickey moves into the position formerly held by Steve Middleton, who was not retained at the end of the 2013-14 season, and he joins Butch Pierre and Chris Ferguson on Ford’s coaching staff.
This will be Dickey’s second stint in Stillwater, as he was a member of Eddie Sutton’s coaching staff from 2002-08. The most successful season during that run was the 2003-04 campaign, with the Cowboys winning the East Region and reaching the 2004 Final Four in San Antonio.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)