Apr 30, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
After spending four seasons as head coach at Houston, James Dickey announced in late March that he was stepping down to attend to private family matters. And just over a month later Dickey has returned to the coaching ranks, returning to Stillwater to join Travis Ford’s coaching staff at Oklahoma State. The news was announced by the school Wednesday afternoon.
“I’m excited and honored and want to thank Coach Ford for the opportunity to join his staff. I have followed his playing and coaching career and have great respect for who he is and what he’s accomplished,” Dickey said in the school release. “I’m thrilled about returning to Oklahoma State and living in Stillwater. My family is here and this is a great place to live and work.
“Cowboy basketball is special and has a knowledgeable, passionate fan base and a very loyal, enthusiastic student body. It will be exciting to be back in historic Gallagher-Iba Arena. Coach Ford has a tremendous staff which I look forward to being a part of as we build on the great tradition of OSU basketball.”
Dickey moves into the position formerly held by Steve Middleton, who was not retained at the end of the 2013-14 season, and he joins Butch Pierre and Chris Ferguson on Ford’s coaching staff.
This will be Dickey’s second stint in Stillwater, as he was a member of Eddie Sutton’s coaching staff from 2002-08. The most successful season during that run was the 2003-04 campaign, with the Cowboys winning the East Region and reaching the 2004 Final Four in San Antonio.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)