Apr 30, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
Missouri announced on Wednesday that Tim Fuller will remain on staff with new head coach Kim Anderson being hired.
Fuller had been with Frank Haith at Missouri for the last three seasons. He’s known as one of the best recruiters in the country and, as associate head coach, earned the first five wins of his career as acting head coach when Haith was suspended at the start of the season.
“I’m ecstatic right now,” Fuller said. “I love Missouri. I appreciate everything about our student-athletes, this state, this school and our fans. This has become my home. After meeting with Coach Anderson the last two days and seeing the way he relates to our student-athletes and coaches, I quickly accepted his offer to join his staff at Mizzou. This is going to be fun.”
Fuller had a chance to take the head coaching position at Florida A&M.
This move is important for the Tigers because it should help ensure that the program is able to continue bringing in top 100 recruits. Anderson has the reputation for being a terrific x’s-and-o’s coach, and while he spent 18 years as an assistant at the Division I level, he hasn’t been back in this century. Literally. The last time he was a D-I coach was in 1999, and while he built a program at Division II Central Missouri that won the 2014 national title, the contacts that he developed at that level will not be the same as the contacts that he would need to attract the kind of talent that Missouri needs to remain near the top of the SEC.
It should also help convince Jakeenan Gant, one of the stars of Missouri’s 2014 recruiting class, will remain with the program.
“I’d like to welcome Tim Fuller as the first member of our coaching staff here at Missouri and applaud how he led this program and kept Mizzou moving forward through practices and recruiting over the last couple weeks,” Anderson said. “Tim has displayed incredible character and loyalty to Mizzou during the transition and demonstrated from our first meeting his commitment and passion for our student-athletes and Mizzou Basketball. I look forward to working closely with Tim as we move our program forward and am excited about the future of Tiger Basketball.”
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)