Apr 30, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
Where have all the point guards gone?
That’s a good question to ask the coaches currently looking to add a point guard in the Class of 2015. After a down year for ball-handlers in 2014, the position has tried up even more for rising seniors. In Rivals’ top 150, 10 of the top 12 recruits are front court players, and the two guards on that list — Malik Newman and Tyler Dorsey — are known more for their ability to get points than they are for running a team.
That leaves Jalen Brunson, a 6-foot-1 lefty from Chicago, as the lone point guard in the top 25 in the Class of 2015.
The video you see above is solid as far as mixtapes go — Brunson is a crafty ball-handler that can get defenders off balance with his crossover and he has a knack for throwing some ridiculous, no-look passes — but his real strength can’t be judged based off of a mixtape. He’s a high-IQ player that understands how to run a team from the point guard spot.
The Class of 2015 is weak as a whole, and the point guard position in particular, but Brunson is the best of the bunch and should make whichever coach lands his services happy for four years.
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)