Apr 30, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Where have all the point guards gone?
That’s a good question to ask the coaches currently looking to add a point guard in the Class of 2015. After a down year for ball-handlers in 2014, the position has tried up even more for rising seniors. In Rivals’ top 150, 10 of the top 12 recruits are front court players, and the two guards on that list — Malik Newman and Tyler Dorsey — are known more for their ability to get points than they are for running a team.
That leaves Jalen Brunson, a 6-foot-1 lefty from Chicago, as the lone point guard in the top 25 in the Class of 2015.
The video you see above is solid as far as mixtapes go — Brunson is a crafty ball-handler that can get defenders off balance with his crossover and he has a knack for throwing some ridiculous, no-look passes — but his real strength can’t be judged based off of a mixtape. He’s a high-IQ player that understands how to run a team from the point guard spot.
The Class of 2015 is weak as a whole, and the point guard position in particular, but Brunson is the best of the bunch and should make whichever coach lands his services happy for four years.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)