Apr 30, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Where have all the point guards gone?
That’s a good question to ask the coaches currently looking to add a point guard in the Class of 2015. After a down year for ball-handlers in 2014, the position has tried up even more for rising seniors. In Rivals’ top 150, 10 of the top 12 recruits are front court players, and the two guards on that list — Malik Newman and Tyler Dorsey — are known more for their ability to get points than they are for running a team.
That leaves Jalen Brunson, a 6-foot-1 lefty from Chicago, as the lone point guard in the top 25 in the Class of 2015.
The video you see above is solid as far as mixtapes go — Brunson is a crafty ball-handler that can get defenders off balance with his crossover and he has a knack for throwing some ridiculous, no-look passes — but his real strength can’t be judged based off of a mixtape. He’s a high-IQ player that understands how to run a team from the point guard spot.
The Class of 2015 is weak as a whole, and the point guard position in particular, but Brunson is the best of the bunch and should make whichever coach lands his services happy for four years.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (4)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)