Apr 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Pitt’s backup center Derrick Randall has been suspended indefinitely by the basketball program after getting arrested early on Tuesday morning.
“The incident involving Derrick Randall this morning is not only surprising but incredibly disappointing,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said in a statement Tuesday. “Although I believe it was out of character for Derrick, he has been indefinitely suspended.”
Randall was arrested for driving while intoxicated, use of a controlled dangerous substance and possession of a controlled dangerous substance. He was on the Rutgers campus when he was pulled over for driving without headlights on, according to the Bergen Record.
Randall averaged 2.4 points and 2.1 boards for the Panthers, playing behind Talib Zanna. He was eligible immediately this past season after transferring into the program from Rutgers due to the scandal involving former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice.
Randall filed a lawsuit against Rutgers in December regarding the way that he was treated during his time at the school.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)