Apr 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Pitt’s backup center Derrick Randall has been suspended indefinitely by the basketball program after getting arrested early on Tuesday morning.
“The incident involving Derrick Randall this morning is not only surprising but incredibly disappointing,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said in a statement Tuesday. “Although I believe it was out of character for Derrick, he has been indefinitely suspended.”
Randall was arrested for driving while intoxicated, use of a controlled dangerous substance and possession of a controlled dangerous substance. He was on the Rutgers campus when he was pulled over for driving without headlights on, according to the Bergen Record.
Randall averaged 2.4 points and 2.1 boards for the Panthers, playing behind Talib Zanna. He was eligible immediately this past season after transferring into the program from Rutgers due to the scandal involving former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice.
Randall filed a lawsuit against Rutgers in December regarding the way that he was treated during his time at the school.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)