Apr 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Pitt’s backup center Derrick Randall has been suspended indefinitely by the basketball program after getting arrested early on Tuesday morning.
“The incident involving Derrick Randall this morning is not only surprising but incredibly disappointing,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said in a statement Tuesday. “Although I believe it was out of character for Derrick, he has been indefinitely suspended.”
Randall was arrested for driving while intoxicated, use of a controlled dangerous substance and possession of a controlled dangerous substance. He was on the Rutgers campus when he was pulled over for driving without headlights on, according to the Bergen Record.
Randall averaged 2.4 points and 2.1 boards for the Panthers, playing behind Talib Zanna. He was eligible immediately this past season after transferring into the program from Rutgers due to the scandal involving former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice.
Randall filed a lawsuit against Rutgers in December regarding the way that he was treated during his time at the school.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)