Apr 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
Pitt’s backup center Derrick Randall has been suspended indefinitely by the basketball program after getting arrested early on Tuesday morning.
“The incident involving Derrick Randall this morning is not only surprising but incredibly disappointing,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said in a statement Tuesday. “Although I believe it was out of character for Derrick, he has been indefinitely suspended.”
Randall was arrested for driving while intoxicated, use of a controlled dangerous substance and possession of a controlled dangerous substance. He was on the Rutgers campus when he was pulled over for driving without headlights on, according to the Bergen Record.
Randall averaged 2.4 points and 2.1 boards for the Panthers, playing behind Talib Zanna. He was eligible immediately this past season after transferring into the program from Rutgers due to the scandal involving former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice.
Randall filed a lawsuit against Rutgers in December regarding the way that he was treated during his time at the school.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)