Apr 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Pitt’s backup center Derrick Randall has been suspended indefinitely by the basketball program after getting arrested early on Tuesday morning.
“The incident involving Derrick Randall this morning is not only surprising but incredibly disappointing,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said in a statement Tuesday. “Although I believe it was out of character for Derrick, he has been indefinitely suspended.”
Randall was arrested for driving while intoxicated, use of a controlled dangerous substance and possession of a controlled dangerous substance. He was on the Rutgers campus when he was pulled over for driving without headlights on, according to the Bergen Record.
Randall averaged 2.4 points and 2.1 boards for the Panthers, playing behind Talib Zanna. He was eligible immediately this past season after transferring into the program from Rutgers due to the scandal involving former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice.
Randall filed a lawsuit against Rutgers in December regarding the way that he was treated during his time at the school.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 3
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)