Apr 30, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Jason Gardner has only been on the job as the head coach at IUPUI for a month, but he has already earned commitments from four transfers.
On Wednesday, Gardner added his fifth transfer commitment. Jordan Pickett, a 6-foot freshman point guard that played in just five games last season, committed to play for the Jaguars. The news was first reported by Kyle Neddenriep.
What’s interesting is that Pickett is actually the third transfer that Gardner has added from Loyola (IL), where he used to be an assistant coach before moving on to Memphis. None of them were stars, so it may not get all that much attention — Pickett played in just five games due to injuries, 6-foot-8 sophomore Matt O’Leary averaged just 4.2 points and 3.0 boards, and Nick Osborne, another 6-foot-8 sophomore, averaged 5.4 points and 4.0 boards — but it is interesting that Gardner is mining a roster that he helped recruit.
The other two transfers that Gardner has added are Leo Svete from Western Michigan and Darell Combs from Eastern Michigan.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)