Apr 30, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
With the presumed favorite to be the new head coach at Southern Miss making the decision to keep his current job, athletic director Bill McGillis’ search for Donnie Tyndall’s replacement continued. And according to a report by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com the search has reached its conclusion, with Iowa State assistant Doc Sadler the choice to fill the vacancy. The report was confirmed by Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune.
Sadler has plenty of experience as both an assistant and head coach, with his most recent head coaching stint coming at Nebraska (2006-12). And there’s also some familiarity with Conference USA, as Sadler was head coach at UTEP from 2004-06, posting a record of 48-18.
Of course the Conference USA he’ll be coaching in this time around has a much different look than that edition, with programs such as Louisville, Marquette (both schools moved to the Big East in 2005) and Memphis among the members during Sadler’s time at UTEP. He’ll be taking over a Southern Miss program that’s been successful in recent years, with the Golden Eagles having won 20 games or more in each of the last five seasons.
Southern Miss won 29 games and a share of the Conference USA regular season title in 2013-14, but the Golden Eagles will lose four of their top five scorers. The leading returnee at this point in time is guard Aaron Brown, who averaged 9.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game last season.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)