Apr 30, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
With the presumed favorite to be the new head coach at Southern Miss making the decision to keep his current job, athletic director Bill McGillis’ search for Donnie Tyndall’s replacement continued. And according to a report by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com the search has reached its conclusion, with Iowa State assistant Doc Sadler the choice to fill the vacancy. The report was confirmed by Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune.
Sadler has plenty of experience as both an assistant and head coach, with his most recent head coaching stint coming at Nebraska (2006-12). And there’s also some familiarity with Conference USA, as Sadler was head coach at UTEP from 2004-06, posting a record of 48-18.
Of course the Conference USA he’ll be coaching in this time around has a much different look than that edition, with programs such as Louisville, Marquette (both schools moved to the Big East in 2005) and Memphis among the members during Sadler’s time at UTEP. He’ll be taking over a Southern Miss program that’s been successful in recent years, with the Golden Eagles having won 20 games or more in each of the last five seasons.
Southern Miss won 29 games and a share of the Conference USA regular season title in 2013-14, but the Golden Eagles will lose four of their top five scorers. The leading returnee at this point in time is guard Aaron Brown, who averaged 9.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game last season.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)