May 1, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Having already landed junior college guards Torian Graham and Eric Weary, Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson has once again looked to the junior college ranks as he begins the process of rebuilding the Cougar program. Thursday the school announced the addition of guard Cavon “Chuck” Baker, who played at Lee Junior College in Texas last season.
A native of Queens, N.Y. Baker shot just over 47% from the field last season, his first at Lee after playing 18 games at Florida Atlantic during the 2012-13 season. The addition of the 6-foot-2 Baker gives Houston some additional depth on the perimeter, with L.J. Rose being another option at the point and both Graham and Weary considered to be shooting guards.
“Chuck is a tough, hard-nosed point guard who is fearless. We want to be able to extend pressure with our defense and we want to play pace on offense. He will be really good in both areas,” Sampson said in the release announcing the addition. “It’s hard to win at a high level if you don’t have a point guard that can make shots, and Chuck can do that. In looking all the intangibles I want at that position, he has a check in all the boxes.”
As it presently stands Houston will have just one senior on its 2014-15 roster, with that player being shooting guard LeRon Barnes. Barnes averaged just 3.2 points per game last season. With the departures of Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas, Rose is Houston’s leading returning scorer as he averaged 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in 2013-14. With that being the case, there’s clearly room for Houston’s three junior college additions to earn immediate playing time.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)