May 1, 2014, 7:37 PM EST
After averaging 5.4 points, 4.0 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game as a freshman, Rhode Island forward Jordan Hare entered the 2013-14 season with the look of a player who could take another step forward for Dan Hurley. However that wasn’t meant to be, as Hare left the team before the start of the season to attend to personal issues.
Hare wouldn’t play in a single game for the Rams in 2013-14, a tough loss considering the fact that URI wasn’t the deepest team in the front court even with the Michigan native in the fold. The question regarding Hare was whether or not he’d return in 2014-15, and according to Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal there’s a decent chance that Hare will be back in a Rhode Island uniform.
Sources close to the Rams’ program say Hare is now planning on a return to school in time for a summer session. He’ll work towards regaining his eligibility for the 2014-15 season, a goal that is within reach.
Hare would not return a phone call to discuss his status. He left the team last fall, in part to take care of his young daughter back home.
The return of Hare will certainly help Rhode Island from a depth standpoint as they look to improve their standing within the Atlantic 10. URI returns one of the better freshmen in the Atlantic 10 in forward Hassan Martin, along with veterans Gilvydas Biruta and Ifeanyi Onyekaba. Rhode Island will also add junior college transfer Earl Watson this summer.
In addition to those front court options URI will also welcome back the reigning Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year in guard E.C. Matthews, with leading scorer Xavier Munford being their biggest personnel loss.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)