May 1, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
After averaging 5.4 points, 4.0 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game as a freshman, Rhode Island forward Jordan Hare entered the 2013-14 season with the look of a player who could take another step forward for Dan Hurley. However that wasn’t meant to be, as Hare left the team before the start of the season to attend to personal issues.
Hare wouldn’t play in a single game for the Rams in 2013-14, a tough loss considering the fact that URI wasn’t the deepest team in the front court even with the Michigan native in the fold. The question regarding Hare was whether or not he’d return in 2014-15, and according to Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal there’s a decent chance that Hare will be back in a Rhode Island uniform.
Sources close to the Rams’ program say Hare is now planning on a return to school in time for a summer session. He’ll work towards regaining his eligibility for the 2014-15 season, a goal that is within reach.
Hare would not return a phone call to discuss his status. He left the team last fall, in part to take care of his young daughter back home.
The return of Hare will certainly help Rhode Island from a depth standpoint as they look to improve their standing within the Atlantic 10. URI returns one of the better freshmen in the Atlantic 10 in forward Hassan Martin, along with veterans Gilvydas Biruta and Ifeanyi Onyekaba. Rhode Island will also add junior college transfer Earl Watson this summer.
In addition to those front court options URI will also welcome back the reigning Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year in guard E.C. Matthews, with leading scorer Xavier Munford being their biggest personnel loss.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)