May 1, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers will reach out to the two head coaches that battled it out on April 8th for the national title, according to a report from ESPN.com.
The Lakers will reach out to Kentucky head coach John Calipari and UConn head coach Kevin Ollie to gauge their interest in the job opening, the report says.
Calipari has long been part of the rumor mill when it comes to coaching in the NBA. His name has been tossed around as a potential head coach for the Knicks in recent offseasons, and he has coached in the NBA in the past, leading the Nets back in the late-90s, when they were still in New Jersey.
Calipari isn’t an ideal candidate to coach in the NBA, however. He’s better-suited to the college game. What he does best is recruit. He accumulates talent and sells them on buying into a system before jettisoning them to the NBA Draft. He’s not a pure x’s-and-o’s coach, and that’s what you need to be to be successful in the NBA.
Ollie is a more intriguing candidate. He spent 13 seasons in the NBA, and while he went to UConn, he’s a native of Southern California. He also has a close relationship to Kevin Durant, who will become a free agent in 2016, and you can bet that the Lakers are already picturing what it would look like to have Durant on the same team as Kevin Love.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)