May 1, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Shelton Mitchell, the No. 76 player in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals, has asked for and been granted a release by Wake Forest from his letter of intent.
Mitchell, a four-star point guard, was the most highly-regarded recruit that Jeff Bzdelik landed during his tenure in Winston-Salem, but with the coaching change that came down this month, Mitchell has decided to reopen his recruitment.
It’s unclear where Mitchell will end up going or if there will be any restrictions on his recruitment, but according to the head coach at Oak Hill Academy, he’s not expected to look at any ACC school. He’s currently recovering from a meniscus tear.
Here is Eric Bossi on Rivals.com on Mitchell: “Sturdy point guard is a good decision maker, has excellent size and plays a balanced game. Doesn’t force much and uses his strength to hold off defenders. Point guards with quickness who like to drive will be something he has to adjust to in college.”
This news comes a couple weeks after it was announced that Arnaud William Adala Moto would be transferring out of the program.
Danny Manning, the former head coach at Tulsa, replaced Bzdelik.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)