May 1, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Shelton Mitchell, the No. 76 player in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals, has asked for and been granted a release by Wake Forest from his letter of intent.
Mitchell, a four-star point guard, was the most highly-regarded recruit that Jeff Bzdelik landed during his tenure in Winston-Salem, but with the coaching change that came down this month, Mitchell has decided to reopen his recruitment.
It’s unclear where Mitchell will end up going or if there will be any restrictions on his recruitment, but according to the head coach at Oak Hill Academy, he’s not expected to look at any ACC school. He’s currently recovering from a meniscus tear.
Here is Eric Bossi on Rivals.com on Mitchell: “Sturdy point guard is a good decision maker, has excellent size and plays a balanced game. Doesn’t force much and uses his strength to hold off defenders. Point guards with quickness who like to drive will be something he has to adjust to in college.”
This news comes a couple weeks after it was announced that Arnaud William Adala Moto would be transferring out of the program.
Danny Manning, the former head coach at Tulsa, replaced Bzdelik.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)