May 1, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Shelton Mitchell, the No. 76 player in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals, has asked for and been granted a release by Wake Forest from his letter of intent.
Mitchell, a four-star point guard, was the most highly-regarded recruit that Jeff Bzdelik landed during his tenure in Winston-Salem, but with the coaching change that came down this month, Mitchell has decided to reopen his recruitment.
It’s unclear where Mitchell will end up going or if there will be any restrictions on his recruitment, but according to the head coach at Oak Hill Academy, he’s not expected to look at any ACC school. He’s currently recovering from a meniscus tear.
Here is Eric Bossi on Rivals.com on Mitchell: “Sturdy point guard is a good decision maker, has excellent size and plays a balanced game. Doesn’t force much and uses his strength to hold off defenders. Point guards with quickness who like to drive will be something he has to adjust to in college.”
This news comes a couple weeks after it was announced that Arnaud William Adala Moto would be transferring out of the program.
Danny Manning, the former head coach at Tulsa, replaced Bzdelik.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)