May 1, 2014, 12:59 PM EST
Shelton Mitchell, the No. 76 player in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals, has asked for and been granted a release by Wake Forest from his letter of intent.
Mitchell, a four-star point guard, was the most highly-regarded recruit that Jeff Bzdelik landed during his tenure in Winston-Salem, but with the coaching change that came down this month, Mitchell has decided to reopen his recruitment.
It’s unclear where Mitchell will end up going or if there will be any restrictions on his recruitment, but according to the head coach at Oak Hill Academy, he’s not expected to look at any ACC school. He’s currently recovering from a meniscus tear.
Here is Eric Bossi on Rivals.com on Mitchell: “Sturdy point guard is a good decision maker, has excellent size and plays a balanced game. Doesn’t force much and uses his strength to hold off defenders. Point guards with quickness who like to drive will be something he has to adjust to in college.”
This news comes a couple weeks after it was announced that Arnaud William Adala Moto would be transferring out of the program.
Danny Manning, the former head coach at Tulsa, replaced Bzdelik.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 0
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)