May 2, 2014, 9:48 AM EST
California’s 2014 recruiting class is down to just one commitment as a result of point guard Ahmaad Rorie requesting and receiving a release from his National Letter of Intent (subscription required) according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com. Rorie, a native of Tacoma, Wash., originally committed to attend the Pac-12 school back in 2012 when Mike Montgomery was the head coach.
His decision effectively leaves the Golden Bears with one true point guard at this point in time, with rising sophomore Sam Singer being that player. Cal has depth at the off-guard position, with Jabari Bird, Tyrone Wallace and Jordan Mathews all being solid options, but that isn’t the case at the point.
Given the timing of his decision to request a release from his NLI Rorie’s going to be a popular prospect as a result of this news. Other available 2014 point guards include Devonte Graham, Shelton Mitchell and Larry Austin. All four players are ranked among the top 25 point guards in the country.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)