May 2, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
California’s 2014 recruiting class is down to just one commitment as a result of point guard Ahmaad Rorie requesting and receiving a release from his National Letter of Intent (subscription required) according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com. Rorie, a native of Tacoma, Wash., originally committed to attend the Pac-12 school back in 2012 when Mike Montgomery was the head coach.
His decision effectively leaves the Golden Bears with one true point guard at this point in time, with rising sophomore Sam Singer being that player. Cal has depth at the off-guard position, with Jabari Bird, Tyrone Wallace and Jordan Mathews all being solid options, but that isn’t the case at the point.
Given the timing of his decision to request a release from his NLI Rorie’s going to be a popular prospect as a result of this news. Other available 2014 point guards include Devonte Graham, Shelton Mitchell and Larry Austin. All four players are ranked among the top 25 point guards in the country.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)