May 2, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
California’s 2014 recruiting class is down to just one commitment as a result of point guard Ahmaad Rorie requesting and receiving a release from his National Letter of Intent (subscription required) according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com. Rorie, a native of Tacoma, Wash., originally committed to attend the Pac-12 school back in 2012 when Mike Montgomery was the head coach.
His decision effectively leaves the Golden Bears with one true point guard at this point in time, with rising sophomore Sam Singer being that player. Cal has depth at the off-guard position, with Jabari Bird, Tyrone Wallace and Jordan Mathews all being solid options, but that isn’t the case at the point.
Given the timing of his decision to request a release from his NLI Rorie’s going to be a popular prospect as a result of this news. Other available 2014 point guards include Devonte Graham, Shelton Mitchell and Larry Austin. All four players are ranked among the top 25 point guards in the country.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)