May 2, 2014, 9:48 AM EST
California’s 2014 recruiting class is down to just one commitment as a result of point guard Ahmaad Rorie requesting and receiving a release from his National Letter of Intent (subscription required) according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com. Rorie, a native of Tacoma, Wash., originally committed to attend the Pac-12 school back in 2012 when Mike Montgomery was the head coach.
His decision effectively leaves the Golden Bears with one true point guard at this point in time, with rising sophomore Sam Singer being that player. Cal has depth at the off-guard position, with Jabari Bird, Tyrone Wallace and Jordan Mathews all being solid options, but that isn’t the case at the point.
Given the timing of his decision to request a release from his NLI Rorie’s going to be a popular prospect as a result of this news. Other available 2014 point guards include Devonte Graham, Shelton Mitchell and Larry Austin. All four players are ranked among the top 25 point guards in the country.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)