May 2, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
One day after it was announced that Naadir Tharpe would be transferring, Kansas landed an important point guard recruit as Devonte Graham verbally committed to attend the Big 12 school. One of the best remaining prospects in the 2014 class, Graham picked Kansas over NC State.
Graham’s path to college was an interesting one, as at one time he was a Appalachian State commit and even signed a National Letter of Intent. However Graham had a change of heart, but the process went on far longer than he would have hoped as Jason Capel’s program refused to release Graham from the NLI. Capel was relieved of his duties at the end of the 2013-14 season, and ultimately new head coach Jim Fox made the decision to grant Graham the release he sought.
Graham’s decision to join Bill Self’s program is an important addition given the Jayhawks’ depth at the point guard position. Frank Mason and Conner Frankamp are the returnees at the position, with the former being one of Kansas’ first players off the bench in 2013-14.
Kansas won’t have the most experienced backcourt next season, but the addition of Graham makes the Jayhawks a deeper team while also improving the level of talent at the position. Graham becomes the third member of Kansas’ 2014 recruiting class, joining McDonald’s All-Americans Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)