May 2, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
One day after it was announced that Naadir Tharpe would be transferring, Kansas landed an important point guard recruit as Devonte Graham verbally committed to attend the Big 12 school. One of the best remaining prospects in the 2014 class, Graham picked Kansas over NC State.
Graham’s path to college was an interesting one, as at one time he was a Appalachian State commit and even signed a National Letter of Intent. However Graham had a change of heart, but the process went on far longer than he would have hoped as Jason Capel’s program refused to release Graham from the NLI. Capel was relieved of his duties at the end of the 2013-14 season, and ultimately new head coach Jim Fox made the decision to grant Graham the release he sought.
Graham’s decision to join Bill Self’s program is an important addition given the Jayhawks’ depth at the point guard position. Frank Mason and Conner Frankamp are the returnees at the position, with the former being one of Kansas’ first players off the bench in 2013-14.
Kansas won’t have the most experienced backcourt next season, but the addition of Graham makes the Jayhawks a deeper team while also improving the level of talent at the position. Graham becomes the third member of Kansas’ 2014 recruiting class, joining McDonald’s All-Americans Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 36
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)