May 2, 2014, 1:02 PM EST
One day after it was announced that Naadir Tharpe would be transferring, Kansas landed an important point guard recruit as Devonte Graham verbally committed to attend the Big 12 school. One of the best remaining prospects in the 2014 class, Graham picked Kansas over NC State.
Graham’s path to college was an interesting one, as at one time he was a Appalachian State commit and even signed a National Letter of Intent. However Graham had a change of heart, but the process went on far longer than he would have hoped as Jason Capel’s program refused to release Graham from the NLI. Capel was relieved of his duties at the end of the 2013-14 season, and ultimately new head coach Jim Fox made the decision to grant Graham the release he sought.
Graham’s decision to join Bill Self’s program is an important addition given the Jayhawks’ depth at the point guard position. Frank Mason and Conner Frankamp are the returnees at the position, with the former being one of Kansas’ first players off the bench in 2013-14.
Kansas won’t have the most experienced backcourt next season, but the addition of Graham makes the Jayhawks a deeper team while also improving the level of talent at the position. Graham becomes the third member of Kansas’ 2014 recruiting class, joining McDonald’s All-Americans Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander.
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)