May 2, 2014, 1:02 PM EST
One day after it was announced that Naadir Tharpe would be transferring, Kansas landed an important point guard recruit as Devonte Graham verbally committed to attend the Big 12 school. One of the best remaining prospects in the 2014 class, Graham picked Kansas over NC State.
Graham’s path to college was an interesting one, as at one time he was a Appalachian State commit and even signed a National Letter of Intent. However Graham had a change of heart, but the process went on far longer than he would have hoped as Jason Capel’s program refused to release Graham from the NLI. Capel was relieved of his duties at the end of the 2013-14 season, and ultimately new head coach Jim Fox made the decision to grant Graham the release he sought.
Graham’s decision to join Bill Self’s program is an important addition given the Jayhawks’ depth at the point guard position. Frank Mason and Conner Frankamp are the returnees at the position, with the former being one of Kansas’ first players off the bench in 2013-14.
Kansas won’t have the most experienced backcourt next season, but the addition of Graham makes the Jayhawks a deeper team while also improving the level of talent at the position. Graham becomes the third member of Kansas’ 2014 recruiting class, joining McDonald’s All-Americans Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 13
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (17)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)