May 2, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
After leading Grand Canyon to a third-place finish in the WAC and a spot in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament in his first season as head coach, Dan Majerle was rewarded with a contract extension though the 2017-18 season on Thursday according to the school. Overall the Antelopes, who are making the transition to the Division I level, finished the 2013-14 season with a 15-15 record.
“Coach Majerle exceeded expectations in our initial year of the Division I membership process,” school president Brian Mueller said in the release. “We are pleased to announce that we have extended his contract to include an additional year and a salary increase. We are excited about the coming season and the future of GCU basketball.”
Grand Canyon finished third in the WAC last season but did not play in the conference tournament due to the program’s provisional Division I status. Heading into 2014-15 GCU will have to account for the graduation of center Killian Larson, who led the team in both scoring and rebounding with averages of 17.2 points and 11.6 rebounds per contest.
However two other double-digit scorers, guard Jerome Garrison (16.5 ppg) and forward Daniel Alexander (12.7, 5.6 rpg), do return for the Antelopes.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0