May 2, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
After leading Grand Canyon to a third-place finish in the WAC and a spot in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament in his first season as head coach, Dan Majerle was rewarded with a contract extension though the 2017-18 season on Thursday according to the school. Overall the Antelopes, who are making the transition to the Division I level, finished the 2013-14 season with a 15-15 record.
“Coach Majerle exceeded expectations in our initial year of the Division I membership process,” school president Brian Mueller said in the release. “We are pleased to announce that we have extended his contract to include an additional year and a salary increase. We are excited about the coming season and the future of GCU basketball.”
Grand Canyon finished third in the WAC last season but did not play in the conference tournament due to the program’s provisional Division I status. Heading into 2014-15 GCU will have to account for the graduation of center Killian Larson, who led the team in both scoring and rebounding with averages of 17.2 points and 11.6 rebounds per contest.
However two other double-digit scorers, guard Jerome Garrison (16.5 ppg) and forward Daniel Alexander (12.7, 5.6 rpg), do return for the Antelopes.
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0