May 2, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Pepperdine lost one of its key scorers from last season on Friday when the program announced that junior guard Malcolm Brooks is leaving the program.
Brooks played one season for the Waves and averaged 10.3 points per game after transferring from Lamar Community College. A native of Brooklyn, the 6-foot-5 Brooks will have one year of eligibility remaining.
“Malcolm is a quality young man and we’re sorry that he won’t be back. I expect he will try to play his final year closer to home,” Pepperdine head coach Marty Wilson said via Twitter.
Brooks also averaged 2.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game on 45 percent shooting from the field and 39 percent shooting from three-point range in the 2013-14 season.
Pepperdine now loses two of its top three leading scorers in Brooks and senior forward Brendan Lane, but return leading scorer Stacy Davis next season.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)