May 2, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Pepperdine lost one of its key scorers from last season on Friday when the program announced that junior guard Malcolm Brooks is leaving the program.
Brooks played one season for the Waves and averaged 10.3 points per game after transferring from Lamar Community College. A native of Brooklyn, the 6-foot-5 Brooks will have one year of eligibility remaining.
“Malcolm is a quality young man and we’re sorry that he won’t be back. I expect he will try to play his final year closer to home,” Pepperdine head coach Marty Wilson said via Twitter.
Brooks also averaged 2.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game on 45 percent shooting from the field and 39 percent shooting from three-point range in the 2013-14 season.
Pepperdine now loses two of its top three leading scorers in Brooks and senior forward Brendan Lane, but return leading scorer Stacy Davis next season.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)