May 2, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
An important recruiting weekend for new Tennessee head coach Donnie Tyndall has resulted in a commitment, as it was reported by multiple outlets that 6-foot-7 forward Jabari McGhee has decided to attend the SEC school. McGhee, a native of Albany, Ga., attends Hargrave Military Academy and made his decision while on a visit to Tennessee.
McGhee held offers from other schools such as Auburn, Georgia, FGCU and Western Kentucky. He was originally an Auburn commit, but that school’s coaching change opened things up for McGhee. McGhee is an athletic forward who has been praised by scouts for the energy he brings to the floor. With Tennessee’s lack of front court depth, the addition of McGhee is an important one for Tyndall and his staff.
McGhee’s commitment comes at an important time for Tennessee as earlier this week forward C.J. Turman was released from his National Letter of Intent. Turman’s decision meant that all four players who originally committed when Cuonzo Martin was head coach are no longer committed to the program.
And McGhee won’t be the only important recruit on campus this weekend, as State Fair CC guard Kevin Punter is expected to visit. Formerly a Missouri commit, Punter reopened his recruitment shortly after Frank Haith left the program to take the head coaching position at Tulsa. Punter is reportedly considering Tennessee and Missouri at this stage after deciding not to take a visit to SMU.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)