May 2, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
An important recruiting weekend for new Tennessee head coach Donnie Tyndall has resulted in a commitment, as it was reported by multiple outlets that 6-foot-7 forward Jabari McGhee has decided to attend the SEC school. McGhee, a native of Albany, Ga., attends Hargrave Military Academy and made his decision while on a visit to Tennessee.
McGhee held offers from other schools such as Auburn, Georgia, FGCU and Western Kentucky. He was originally an Auburn commit, but that school’s coaching change opened things up for McGhee. McGhee is an athletic forward who has been praised by scouts for the energy he brings to the floor. With Tennessee’s lack of front court depth, the addition of McGhee is an important one for Tyndall and his staff.
McGhee’s commitment comes at an important time for Tennessee as earlier this week forward C.J. Turman was released from his National Letter of Intent. Turman’s decision meant that all four players who originally committed when Cuonzo Martin was head coach are no longer committed to the program.
And McGhee won’t be the only important recruit on campus this weekend, as State Fair CC guard Kevin Punter is expected to visit. Formerly a Missouri commit, Punter reopened his recruitment shortly after Frank Haith left the program to take the head coaching position at Tulsa. Punter is reportedly considering Tennessee and Missouri at this stage after deciding not to take a visit to SMU.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)