May 2, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
An important recruiting weekend for new Tennessee head coach Donnie Tyndall has resulted in a commitment, as it was reported by multiple outlets that 6-foot-7 forward Jabari McGhee has decided to attend the SEC school. McGhee, a native of Albany, Ga., attends Hargrave Military Academy and made his decision while on a visit to Tennessee.
McGhee held offers from other schools such as Auburn, Georgia, FGCU and Western Kentucky. He was originally an Auburn commit, but that school’s coaching change opened things up for McGhee. McGhee is an athletic forward who has been praised by scouts for the energy he brings to the floor. With Tennessee’s lack of front court depth, the addition of McGhee is an important one for Tyndall and his staff.
McGhee’s commitment comes at an important time for Tennessee as earlier this week forward C.J. Turman was released from his National Letter of Intent. Turman’s decision meant that all four players who originally committed when Cuonzo Martin was head coach are no longer committed to the program.
And McGhee won’t be the only important recruit on campus this weekend, as State Fair CC guard Kevin Punter is expected to visit. Formerly a Missouri commit, Punter reopened his recruitment shortly after Frank Haith left the program to take the head coaching position at Tulsa. Punter is reportedly considering Tennessee and Missouri at this stage after deciding not to take a visit to SMU.
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)