May 2, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Junior college prospects aren’t the sexiest recruits on the block but they serve an important purpose in the world of college basketball recruiting. Many junior college prospects were glossed over in high school thanks to any number of reasons — academics, strength, skills, etc. — but thanks to a few more years of seasoning, they can become an instant contributor to some programs since they’re more experienced and ready to contribute than their high school counterparts.
CBT has already looked over the best available high school prospects and college basketball transfers that are still left on the board earlier on Friday and now we take our attention to the junior college ranks.
Here’s a look at some of the top junior college prospects that are still available:
1. Deng Deng, Lee College: The 6-foot-8 Deng has already visited Baylor and Nebraska and trips to LSU for a visit this weekend, according to Jucorecruiting.com’s Brad Winton. Indiana is also trying to get Deng on a visit, but LSU might be the team to beat in this one. Deng committed to LSU last year as a 2013 recruit with three years of eligibility left, but returned to Lee College when he was unable to attend LSU. A native of Sudan, Deng has also lived in Egypt and Australia and averaged 20.9 points this season for Lee College.
2. Shane Henry, Georgia Perimeter: The 6-foot-8 Henry will take official visits to Louisiana Tech on May 9-10 and Texas Tech May 19-20, while also planning a visit to Virginia Tech, according to Winton. Henry averaged 13.2 points, 12.5 rebounds and 4.7 blocks per game at Georgia Perimeter Community College this past season.
3. Tobe Okafor, Western Texas: A native of Nigeria and a 6-foot-10 forward, Okafor is taking a visit to Houston this weekend and a visit to Long Beach State next weekend, according to Winton. Okafor has also heard recently from Memphis while a bevy of mid-major suitors are also showing interest. Okafor is a former Loyola Marymount commit and there’s some questions surrounding his eligibility. “He would have been off the board a long time ago, but is waiting to hear back from the NCAA to see if he has two years to play or just one,” Winton said of Okafor to NBC Sports.
4. Kevin Punter, State Fair: The 6-foot-3 Punter is a former Mizzou commit who re-opened his recruitment earlier this month. Punter is still considering playing for the Tigers, and new head coach Kim Anderson, but he’s also visiting Tennessee this weekend and will choose between the two SEC programs, according to Winton. Punter averaged 20.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.7 assists, and 1.4 steals per game for State Fair Community College. The guard also shot 57 percent from the field, 37 percent from three-point range, and 83 percent from the charity stripe.
5. Keith Thomas, Westchester College: Despite only playing one season of high school basketball, Thomas averaged 15.3 points, and a junior college-leading 15.7 rebounds per game for Westchester. Thomas visited St. John’s and South Florida last week and also previously visited Loyola (Chicago), according to Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog. Thomas will decide between Fordham, Loyola, St. John’s and South Florida early next week.
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)