May 3, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
One of the top available players in the 2014 class, point guard Shelton Mitchell has become a popular prospect since making the decision to request a release from the National Letter of Intent he signed to attend Wake Forest.
Multiple schools have contacted Mitchell since, and according to Jack LeGwin of ZagsBlog two are in line to host him on official visits this spring. Those two schools are California, which has a new head coach of its own in Cuonzo Martin, and Vanderbilt. However no dates were given in the interview, with Mitchell stating that he plans to take a visit next week.
“Cal, Oregon, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Cincinnati, Tennessee, all of the schools in Charlotte have shown interest,” Mitchell told SNY.tv at the Josh Level Classic on Friday. “I’m just looking for a good program, but I’m also looking for a school where I could get a good education. I’m looking for a good relationship with the coaching staff, because I am a point guard, so we need to be on the same page.”
With regards to California, the chase for Mitchell is a very important one given the recent release of Ahmaad Rorie from his NLI. Without Rorie the Golden Bears are down to rising sophomore Sam Singer as a primary ball-handler, with rising junior Tyrone Wallace being an occasional option to give Singer a breather.
If they can get Mitchell that would give Cal a much-needed infusion of depth at the point guard position (and the talent won’t hurt either). As for Vanderbilt the Commodores are in a similar position at the point, with incoming freshman Riley LaChance being the most likely option.
However it should be noted that Kedren Johnson, who was not enrolled in school last season after being suspended by the school, left the door open for a return in his letter of apology last July. Whether or not Johnson rejoins the program remains to be seen, but it would be a nice boost for the Commodores on the perimeter.
But regardless of what happens with Johnson it’s clear that Mitchell would help Vanderbilt as well, making the 2014 product an important piece for both programs he’s looking to visit with in the near future.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)