May 3, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
While Malik Newman is generally regarded as the top prospect in the 2015 class, another guard receiving high praise from scouts is Jalen Brunson. The 6-foot-2 Illinois native, whose father is former NBA guard Rick Brunson, is considered to be one of the best point guards in the 2015 class and has been a highly sought-after player as a result.
Saturday afternoon Jalen tweeted out the final eight schools on his list in no particular order, with those schools being UConn, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Kansas, Villanova, Michigan and Temple (his father’s alma mater).
Brunson earned AP Class 4A All-State honors as a junior at Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire, Ill., posting averages of 26.1 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.9 steals per game. Brunson, the lone junior to be selected, finished in a tie for the most points received with center Jahlil Okafor.
Okafor, who was a McDonald’s All-American this year, will be attending Duke in the fall. Also on that first team All-State squad were power forward Cliff Alexander (headed to Kansas), point guard Tyler Ulis (Kentucky) and power forward Sean O’Mara (Xavier).
Among Brunson’s noteworthy moments as a junior was his 56-point performance in a 75-68 loss to Okafor’s Whitney Young squad in the semifinals of the Illinois state tournament, with the crowd giving him a standing ovation as he left the floor. The output set a state tournament single-game scoring record.
Video credit: Ball is Life
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)