May 3, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
While Malik Newman is generally regarded as the top prospect in the 2015 class, another guard receiving high praise from scouts is Jalen Brunson. The 6-foot-2 Illinois native, whose father is former NBA guard Rick Brunson, is considered to be one of the best point guards in the 2015 class and has been a highly sought-after player as a result.
Saturday afternoon Jalen tweeted out the final eight schools on his list in no particular order, with those schools being UConn, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Kansas, Villanova, Michigan and Temple (his father’s alma mater).
Brunson earned AP Class 4A All-State honors as a junior at Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire, Ill., posting averages of 26.1 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.9 steals per game. Brunson, the lone junior to be selected, finished in a tie for the most points received with center Jahlil Okafor.
Okafor, who was a McDonald’s All-American this year, will be attending Duke in the fall. Also on that first team All-State squad were power forward Cliff Alexander (headed to Kansas), point guard Tyler Ulis (Kentucky) and power forward Sean O’Mara (Xavier).
Among Brunson’s noteworthy moments as a junior was his 56-point performance in a 75-68 loss to Okafor’s Whitney Young squad in the semifinals of the Illinois state tournament, with the crowd giving him a standing ovation as he left the floor. The output set a state tournament single-game scoring record.
Video credit: Ball is Life
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 2
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)