May 3, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Nearly three weeks after announcing the decision to part ways with Ted Woodward, Maine may be close to hiring a new head coach according to multiple reports.
Bob Walsh, who for the last nine seasons has been the head coach at Rhode Island College, is reportedly the choice to lead the America East program. However according to Pete Warner of the Bangor Daily News, Maine AD Karlton Creech has denied that any decision has been made with regard to the opening.
Walsh, if chosen, would be a good choice for a program that hasn’t enjoyed a great deal of success in recent years. Walsh has won more than 76 percent of his games at Rhode Island College, and if making the move to Orono he’d be taking over a program that finished above .500 just once during Woodward’s tenure (the Black Bears went 19-11 in 2009-10).
Maine’s leading returning scorer at this point in time would be rising senior guard Zarko Valjarevic, who averaged 11.3 points per game in 27 contests in 2013-14. Maine finished 6-23 last season, dropping its America East tournament opener for the ninth consecutive season.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 25
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (25)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)