May 3, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Nearly three weeks after announcing the decision to part ways with Ted Woodward, Maine may be close to hiring a new head coach according to multiple reports.
Bob Walsh, who for the last nine seasons has been the head coach at Rhode Island College, is reportedly the choice to lead the America East program. However according to Pete Warner of the Bangor Daily News, Maine AD Karlton Creech has denied that any decision has been made with regard to the opening.
Walsh, if chosen, would be a good choice for a program that hasn’t enjoyed a great deal of success in recent years. Walsh has won more than 76 percent of his games at Rhode Island College, and if making the move to Orono he’d be taking over a program that finished above .500 just once during Woodward’s tenure (the Black Bears went 19-11 in 2009-10).
Maine’s leading returning scorer at this point in time would be rising senior guard Zarko Valjarevic, who averaged 11.3 points per game in 27 contests in 2013-14. Maine finished 6-23 last season, dropping its America East tournament opener for the ninth consecutive season.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)