May 3, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Less than a month after being arrested on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated, Iowa State forward Abdel Nader pleaded not guilty to the charge Friday according to the Des Moines Register. Nader was arrested on April 12, with head coach Fred Hoiberg suspending him from the team the following day.
Nader’s court date has been set for June 24, and with the departure of Melvin Ejim in the front court the Northern Illinois transfer will be needed alongside returnee Georges Niang. In two seasons at Northern Illinois Nader averaged 11.4 points and 4.7 rebounds per game.
In addition to Ejim the Cyclones, who won the Big 12 tournament title and reached the Sweet 16, will have to account for the loss of guard DeAndre Kane. One of Iowa State’s new additions is former UNLV guard Bryce Dejean-Jones, who will be eligible immediately after completing his undergraduate studies at UNLV.
With the losses of Ejim and Kane, Nader and Dejean-Jones will be important players in 2014-15..
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)