May 4, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
With Cory Jefferson having graduated and Isaiah Austin foregoing his final two seasons of eligibility to enter the NBA Draft, Baylor head coach Scott Drew has two major departures to account for as the Bears look to build on their Sweet 16 appearance in 2014-15. Rico Gathers, Royce O’Neale and Taurean Prince were all members of Baylor’s front court rotation in 2013-14 and their returns will help next season, but there’s always room for another contributor.
Sunday afternoon the Bears landed one of the best junior college prospects available, as according to Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com 6-foot-8 Lee (Texas) College forward Deng Deng has committed to Baylor.
Deng was originally an LSU commitment, making the verbal pledge to join Johnny Jones’ program in 2012 with plans of joining the program for the 2013-14 season. However Deng needed a second year at Lee College, where he averaged 19.8 points and 11.0 rebounds per game as a sophomore. Nebraska was also considered to be in the running for Deng’s services.
Deng reached double figures in 27 of the 29 games in which he played this season, and he managed to grab at least ten rebounds in 20 games. Deng’s addition gives Baylor added front court depth, and he has the skill needed to be a key member of the Bears’ rotation in 2014-15.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)