May 4, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
With Cory Jefferson having graduated and Isaiah Austin foregoing his final two seasons of eligibility to enter the NBA Draft, Baylor head coach Scott Drew has two major departures to account for as the Bears look to build on their Sweet 16 appearance in 2014-15. Rico Gathers, Royce O’Neale and Taurean Prince were all members of Baylor’s front court rotation in 2013-14 and their returns will help next season, but there’s always room for another contributor.
Sunday afternoon the Bears landed one of the best junior college prospects available, as according to Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com 6-foot-8 Lee (Texas) College forward Deng Deng has committed to Baylor.
Deng was originally an LSU commitment, making the verbal pledge to join Johnny Jones’ program in 2012 with plans of joining the program for the 2013-14 season. However Deng needed a second year at Lee College, where he averaged 19.8 points and 11.0 rebounds per game as a sophomore. Nebraska was also considered to be in the running for Deng’s services.
Deng reached double figures in 27 of the 29 games in which he played this season, and he managed to grab at least ten rebounds in 20 games. Deng’s addition gives Baylor added front court depth, and he has the skill needed to be a key member of the Bears’ rotation in 2014-15.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)