May 4, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
With Cory Jefferson having graduated and Isaiah Austin foregoing his final two seasons of eligibility to enter the NBA Draft, Baylor head coach Scott Drew has two major departures to account for as the Bears look to build on their Sweet 16 appearance in 2014-15. Rico Gathers, Royce O’Neale and Taurean Prince were all members of Baylor’s front court rotation in 2013-14 and their returns will help next season, but there’s always room for another contributor.
Sunday afternoon the Bears landed one of the best junior college prospects available, as according to Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com 6-foot-8 Lee (Texas) College forward Deng Deng has committed to Baylor.
Deng was originally an LSU commitment, making the verbal pledge to join Johnny Jones’ program in 2012 with plans of joining the program for the 2013-14 season. However Deng needed a second year at Lee College, where he averaged 19.8 points and 11.0 rebounds per game as a sophomore. Nebraska was also considered to be in the running for Deng’s services.
Deng reached double figures in 27 of the 29 games in which he played this season, and he managed to grab at least ten rebounds in 20 games. Deng’s addition gives Baylor added front court depth, and he has the skill needed to be a key member of the Bears’ rotation in 2014-15.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)