May 4, 2014, 2:42 PM EST
The Ohio State Class of 2015 is shaping up to be one of the best in the nation. On Sunday afternoon, Thad Matta received his third commitment from a four-star recruit.
The latest Buckeye pledge comes shooting guard Austin Grandstaff, the No. 30 overall recruit in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals. The Rockwall High (Texas) star announced his decision via Twitter following his official visit. The 6-foot-5 scoring guard picked the Buckeyes over offers from Arizona, Georgetown, Iowa State, SMU and Oklahoma State, the school he originally committed to.
He joins a class that includes Dunbar High (Ohio) point guard A.J. Harris and fellow Texan Mickey Mitchell, a 6-foot-7 small forward from Plano West High.
This past season, Ohio State struggled to score and had a lack of 3-point shooting options. With Harris and Grandstaff in the back court, the Buckeyes will have two guys who can take defenders off the dribble and create. While Harris still needs to work on a consistent jump shot, Grandstaff can dial it up from beyond the arc.
On the grassroots circuit, Grandstaff is leading Team Texas in scoring at 20.5 points per game, shooting 35 percent from three.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)