May 4, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
The Ohio State Class of 2015 is shaping up to be one of the best in the nation. On Sunday afternoon, Thad Matta received his third commitment from a four-star recruit.
The latest Buckeye pledge comes shooting guard Austin Grandstaff, the No. 30 overall recruit in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals. The Rockwall High (Texas) star announced his decision via Twitter following his official visit. The 6-foot-5 scoring guard picked the Buckeyes over offers from Arizona, Georgetown, Iowa State, SMU and Oklahoma State, the school he originally committed to.
He joins a class that includes Dunbar High (Ohio) point guard A.J. Harris and fellow Texan Mickey Mitchell, a 6-foot-7 small forward from Plano West High.
This past season, Ohio State struggled to score and had a lack of 3-point shooting options. With Harris and Grandstaff in the back court, the Buckeyes will have two guys who can take defenders off the dribble and create. While Harris still needs to work on a consistent jump shot, Grandstaff can dial it up from beyond the arc.
On the grassroots circuit, Grandstaff is leading Team Texas in scoring at 20.5 points per game, shooting 35 percent from three.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)