May 4, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
While Fresno State did manage to reach the championship series of the CBI last season, it was clear throughout the season that the Bulldogs would have to address their lack of size during the offseason. With that being the case, 6-foot-9 center Terrell Carter’s decision to verbally commit to Fresno State is an important step forward for the program.
News of the commitment was reported by Robert Kuwada of the Fresno Bee.
Carter joins a front court that was undersized a season ago, a situation the Bulldogs hope to avoid in 2014-15. Carter attends Redondo Union HS in Redondo Beach, Calif., where he averaged 13.7 points, 9.7 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game. The addition of Carter and the return of Braeden Anderson, who missed all of last season due to injuries suffered in a preseason car accident, are expected to help Fresno State improve on the boards.
The Bulldogs last season ranked 10th in the 11-team Mountain West Conference in rebounding margin at minus-2.9 and early in the season allowed far too many points in the paint within a few feet of the rim while [Paul] Watson and [Alex] Davis learned to play out of position. Watson had come to Fresno State as a three, and Davis as a four/three with designs on playing on the perimeter.
To add to the rebounding margin numbers mentioned above, Fresno State finished the season ranked last in the Mountain West in defensive rebounding percentage (68.3%) and tenth in offensive rebounding percentage (26.6%).
If Fresno State is to build on its postseason run and become an even more formidable team within the Mountain West, the rebounding numbers have to improve. And in order for that to happen, the Bulldogs will need contributions from Carter and Anderson.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)