May 4, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
While Fresno State did manage to reach the championship series of the CBI last season, it was clear throughout the season that the Bulldogs would have to address their lack of size during the offseason. With that being the case, 6-foot-9 center Terrell Carter’s decision to verbally commit to Fresno State is an important step forward for the program.
News of the commitment was reported by Robert Kuwada of the Fresno Bee.
Carter joins a front court that was undersized a season ago, a situation the Bulldogs hope to avoid in 2014-15. Carter attends Redondo Union HS in Redondo Beach, Calif., where he averaged 13.7 points, 9.7 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game. The addition of Carter and the return of Braeden Anderson, who missed all of last season due to injuries suffered in a preseason car accident, are expected to help Fresno State improve on the boards.
The Bulldogs last season ranked 10th in the 11-team Mountain West Conference in rebounding margin at minus-2.9 and early in the season allowed far too many points in the paint within a few feet of the rim while [Paul] Watson and [Alex] Davis learned to play out of position. Watson had come to Fresno State as a three, and Davis as a four/three with designs on playing on the perimeter.
To add to the rebounding margin numbers mentioned above, Fresno State finished the season ranked last in the Mountain West in defensive rebounding percentage (68.3%) and tenth in offensive rebounding percentage (26.6%).
If Fresno State is to build on its postseason run and become an even more formidable team within the Mountain West, the rebounding numbers have to improve. And in order for that to happen, the Bulldogs will need contributions from Carter and Anderson.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)