May 4, 2014, 10:10 AM EST
In late March, IUPUI guard Ian Chiles announced his intention to end his career elsewhere. The 6-foot-1 guard has immediate eligibility under the graduate transfer rule, and coupled with his 15.8 points per game in 2013-2014, he is one of the top available transfers.
He has previously visited Auburn, and within the next two weeks he’ll be making trips to two schools desperately looking to add to their respective rosters, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
WHO’S LEFT?: College Basketball Transfers
Chiles will visit Tennessee this upcoming week before heading to Maryland, Goodman tweeted on Saturday night. Since the season ended, both programs have dealt with a wave of departures. On Friday, Maryland sophomore guard Seth Allen became the fourth member to transfer this spring. Donnie Tyndall, the first-year Volunteers head coach, will have plenty of scholarships to hand out, releasing all four Tennessee commits from their National Letters of Intent last week. The Volunteers also lost Jarnell Stokes, who declared for the 2014 NBA Draft.
Tennessee has only one player in its incoming class, landing three-star forward Jabari McGhee.
The addition of Chiles would be key for a Maryland back court that will also be without Nick Faust and Roddy Peters next season. Chiles, an experienced, fifth-year senior, would take the pressure off incoming guard Melo Trimble, a four-star recruit.
CBT lists Chiles as the third best available transfer.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)