May 4, 2014, 10:10 AM EST
In late March, IUPUI guard Ian Chiles announced his intention to end his career elsewhere. The 6-foot-1 guard has immediate eligibility under the graduate transfer rule, and coupled with his 15.8 points per game in 2013-2014, he is one of the top available transfers.
He has previously visited Auburn, and within the next two weeks he’ll be making trips to two schools desperately looking to add to their respective rosters, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
WHO’S LEFT?: College Basketball Transfers
Chiles will visit Tennessee this upcoming week before heading to Maryland, Goodman tweeted on Saturday night. Since the season ended, both programs have dealt with a wave of departures. On Friday, Maryland sophomore guard Seth Allen became the fourth member to transfer this spring. Donnie Tyndall, the first-year Volunteers head coach, will have plenty of scholarships to hand out, releasing all four Tennessee commits from their National Letters of Intent last week. The Volunteers also lost Jarnell Stokes, who declared for the 2014 NBA Draft.
Tennessee has only one player in its incoming class, landing three-star forward Jabari McGhee.
The addition of Chiles would be key for a Maryland back court that will also be without Nick Faust and Roddy Peters next season. Chiles, an experienced, fifth-year senior, would take the pressure off incoming guard Melo Trimble, a four-star recruit.
CBT lists Chiles as the third best available transfer.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)