May 4, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Kim Anderson has seen early success by retaining assistant coach Tim Fuller and prized recruit Jakeenan Gant. He added to that hot start by landing three-star small forward D’Angelo Allen on Sunday afternoon.
Earlier on Sunday, however, Ronnie Suggs, a 2015 Missouri commit, announced has reopened his recruitment, according to a tweet from Earl Austin Jr.
The Washington High (Mo.) guard committed to the Tigers last August as a member of the Class of 2014, though, he had always intended on delaying his enrollment in the university until the following year.
He is listed as a two-star recruit, according to Rivals, picking Mizzou over offers from Duquesne, Saint Louis, VCU and Xavier. Suggs’ older brother, Scott, played for Lorenzo Romar at Washington.
Suggs committed to Mizzou with Frank Haith as the head coach. Haith wasn’t known for recruiting local talent, mainly relying on transfers. That is likely to change under Anderson, a Missouri native, who has strong ties to high school teams around the state.
Anderson’s goal on the recruiting trail is to keep the talent in-state. That specific strategy didn’t work with the Haith commit, though, there is plenty of local talent the Tigers will surely have their eyes on, such as four-star 2015 point guard Jimmy Whitt and Jayson Tatum, a top-5 player in the Class of 2016.
And as we saw later on Sunday, Anderson has the ability to bring recruits in to Columbia.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 12
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 6
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 (17)