May 5, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
Maryland has been gutted by transfers this offseason as the Terrapins have lost four key players from last season as they make the transition from the ACC to the Big Ten next season.
With guard Seth Allen leaving the program late last week, Maryland has now lost Allen, guard Roddy Peters, wing Nick Faust and big man Shaquille Cleare this offseason and it leaves the Terrapins with a big lack of experienced players and depth for next season.
After the departure of Allen, Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun caught up with Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon to get his thoughts on the departures.
Turgeon made some revealing remarks to Markus:
Turgeon said in an interview with The Baltimore Sun that he has to “take total blame” for the departures.
“You don’t lose four guys and say, ‘Oh, it can’t be me,’ ” Turgeon said. “This is new territory for me. This has never happened” during his career as a head coach.
With rumors that forward Charles Mitchell could also be looking to leave the program, Maryland’s mass exodus this offseason is certainly concerning on a number of levels. Turgeon has gone 59-43 in his first three seasons at Maryland, but he was 23-29 in ACC play and only has one postseason trip to the NIT.
The Terrapins have a solid five-man recruiting class coming in next season, including McDonald’s All-American guard Melo Trimble, but for Turgeon to lose so many valuable pieces to a program he was trying to build is likely going to set him back again as he continues his attempt to reach a NCAA Tournament as Maryland’s head coach.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)