May 5, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
Maryland has been gutted by transfers this offseason as the Terrapins have lost four key players from last season as they make the transition from the ACC to the Big Ten next season.
With guard Seth Allen leaving the program late last week, Maryland has now lost Allen, guard Roddy Peters, wing Nick Faust and big man Shaquille Cleare this offseason and it leaves the Terrapins with a big lack of experienced players and depth for next season.
After the departure of Allen, Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun caught up with Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon to get his thoughts on the departures.
Turgeon made some revealing remarks to Markus:
Turgeon said in an interview with The Baltimore Sun that he has to “take total blame” for the departures.
“You don’t lose four guys and say, ‘Oh, it can’t be me,’ ” Turgeon said. “This is new territory for me. This has never happened” during his career as a head coach.
With rumors that forward Charles Mitchell could also be looking to leave the program, Maryland’s mass exodus this offseason is certainly concerning on a number of levels. Turgeon has gone 59-43 in his first three seasons at Maryland, but he was 23-29 in ACC play and only has one postseason trip to the NIT.
The Terrapins have a solid five-man recruiting class coming in next season, including McDonald’s All-American guard Melo Trimble, but for Turgeon to lose so many valuable pieces to a program he was trying to build is likely going to set him back again as he continues his attempt to reach a NCAA Tournament as Maryland’s head coach.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)