May 5, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
Maryland has been gutted by transfers this offseason as the Terrapins have lost four key players from last season as they make the transition from the ACC to the Big Ten next season.
With guard Seth Allen leaving the program late last week, Maryland has now lost Allen, guard Roddy Peters, wing Nick Faust and big man Shaquille Cleare this offseason and it leaves the Terrapins with a big lack of experienced players and depth for next season.
After the departure of Allen, Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun caught up with Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon to get his thoughts on the departures.
Turgeon made some revealing remarks to Markus:
Turgeon said in an interview with The Baltimore Sun that he has to “take total blame” for the departures.
“You don’t lose four guys and say, ‘Oh, it can’t be me,’ ” Turgeon said. “This is new territory for me. This has never happened” during his career as a head coach.
With rumors that forward Charles Mitchell could also be looking to leave the program, Maryland’s mass exodus this offseason is certainly concerning on a number of levels. Turgeon has gone 59-43 in his first three seasons at Maryland, but he was 23-29 in ACC play and only has one postseason trip to the NIT.
The Terrapins have a solid five-man recruiting class coming in next season, including McDonald’s All-American guard Melo Trimble, but for Turgeon to lose so many valuable pieces to a program he was trying to build is likely going to set him back again as he continues his attempt to reach a NCAA Tournament as Maryland’s head coach.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)