May 5, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
It used to be that Creighton couldn’t get many quality non-conference games when the Bluejays were affiliated with the Valley. While everyone in the country knew that Creighton was talented and had an All-American in Doug McDermott, a power conference team losing to a Missouri Valley Conference program is never a good look.
But when Creighton moved to the Big East last season, they finally got some scheduling respect as Nebraska and Cal both traveled to Omaha for December non-conference road games. While Nebraska and Creighton’s series isn’t anything irregular, Cal was a major home-and-home series upgrade for Creighton over programs like Saint Joseph’s and UAB that Creighton had agreements with over the last few years.
The Bluejays continued the positive scheduling momentum on Monday as CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein reported that Creighton and Oklahoma would engage in a home-and-home series beginning next season in Omaha. The Sooners would get to host the Bluejays in Norman during the 2015-16 season.
It would have been nice to see a Creighton and Oklahoma game this season — with both teams making the 2014 NCAA Tournament — but at least these two power conference programs from the same region can alternate home settings for some good non-conference action the next few seasons.
Although McDermott has exhausted his eligibility, playing in Omaha is still no joke as the CenturyLink Center is one of the toughest places to play in the country. Getting a series like this one with Oklahoma is a positive step for Creighton to maintain it’s recent national prominence.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)