May 5, 2014, 6:20 PM EST
It used to be that Creighton couldn’t get many quality non-conference games when the Bluejays were affiliated with the Valley. While everyone in the country knew that Creighton was talented and had an All-American in Doug McDermott, a power conference team losing to a Missouri Valley Conference program is never a good look.
But when Creighton moved to the Big East last season, they finally got some scheduling respect as Nebraska and Cal both traveled to Omaha for December non-conference road games. While Nebraska and Creighton’s series isn’t anything irregular, Cal was a major home-and-home series upgrade for Creighton over programs like Saint Joseph’s and UAB that Creighton had agreements with over the last few years.
The Bluejays continued the positive scheduling momentum on Monday as CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein reported that Creighton and Oklahoma would engage in a home-and-home series beginning next season in Omaha. The Sooners would get to host the Bluejays in Norman during the 2015-16 season.
It would have been nice to see a Creighton and Oklahoma game this season — with both teams making the 2014 NCAA Tournament — but at least these two power conference programs from the same region can alternate home settings for some good non-conference action the next few seasons.
Although McDermott has exhausted his eligibility, playing in Omaha is still no joke as the CenturyLink Center is one of the toughest places to play in the country. Getting a series like this one with Oklahoma is a positive step for Creighton to maintain it’s recent national prominence.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)