May 5, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
It used to be that Creighton couldn’t get many quality non-conference games when the Bluejays were affiliated with the Valley. While everyone in the country knew that Creighton was talented and had an All-American in Doug McDermott, a power conference team losing to a Missouri Valley Conference program is never a good look.
But when Creighton moved to the Big East last season, they finally got some scheduling respect as Nebraska and Cal both traveled to Omaha for December non-conference road games. While Nebraska and Creighton’s series isn’t anything irregular, Cal was a major home-and-home series upgrade for Creighton over programs like Saint Joseph’s and UAB that Creighton had agreements with over the last few years.
The Bluejays continued the positive scheduling momentum on Monday as CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein reported that Creighton and Oklahoma would engage in a home-and-home series beginning next season in Omaha. The Sooners would get to host the Bluejays in Norman during the 2015-16 season.
It would have been nice to see a Creighton and Oklahoma game this season — with both teams making the 2014 NCAA Tournament — but at least these two power conference programs from the same region can alternate home settings for some good non-conference action the next few seasons.
Although McDermott has exhausted his eligibility, playing in Omaha is still no joke as the CenturyLink Center is one of the toughest places to play in the country. Getting a series like this one with Oklahoma is a positive step for Creighton to maintain it’s recent national prominence.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)