May 5, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
To get a sense of just how in demand Fred Hoiberg is at the NBA level, think about it like this: Mark Jackson is coming off of a 51-win season as the head coach of the Golden State Warriors, making it to the playoffs for a second consecutive season. They took the L.A. Clippers to seven games as a No. 6 seed before bowing out in the first round. And Jackson also just so happens to be loved by his organization’s superstar Steph Curry.
Oh, and most importantly, he is still employed by the Warriors.
Which is what makes it surprising that Tim Kawakami, a columnist for the San Jose Mercury News, penned something like this:
It could be about Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg—is Warriors management’s theoretical top choice willing to talk about coming to the Warriors?
Tell Lacob and general manager Bob Myers that Hoiberg or broadcaster Steve Kerr are live, interested options… and that might make Jackson’s departure a fait accompli.
Hoiberg is the favorite to get a job that hasn’t even been vacated by a man that has led a team to back-to-back Playoff appearances and is very well-liked by the face of the Warrior organization.
Must be nice to be wanted.
And for Iowa State fans, they might as well just get used to this. Given Hoiberg’s history with the NBA, the belief that he wants to be back at that level and the success that he has had with the Cyclones, this speculation isn’t going away anytime soon.
Here’s the part that might actually be scary: I’m not sure there is a more perfect fit for Hoiberg than in Golden State. Hoiberg’s had success because his teams get up and down the floor, spread the court, hit threes and capitalize on mismatches. He would have a lot of success with a roster like Golden State’s.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)