May 5, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
St. John’s added a key addition to their frontcourt on Monday as junior college forward Keith Thomas, the nation’s leading rebounder in the junior college ranks last season, committed to the Red Storm. Thomas announced his decision via his Facebook page and choose St. John’s over his other finalists of Loyola (Chicago) and Fordham.
The 6-foot-8, 230-pound Thomas averaged 15.3 points and 15.7 rebounds last season at Westchester Community College in New York and has at least two years of eligibility remaining, if not three.
According to Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog, Thomas can potentially get a third year of eligibility.
“Yeah, it’s possible if the paperwork goes in right, it’s possible to have three years,” Thomas said to Zagoria.
At the very least, Thomas can give the Red Storm an added interior presence as Steve Lavin’s team returns one of the nation’s leading shot blockers in sophomore Chris Obekpa and redshirt sophomore Christian Jones. St. John’s also added a commitment from high school big man Adonis Delarosa earlier this spring.
With D’Angelo Harrison and Rysheed Jordan both returning in the backcourt, St. John’s now has solid role guys up front in Obekpa (interior defense) and Thomas (rebounding) to help compliment its two all-league caliber guards.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)