May 5, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
St. John’s added a key addition to their frontcourt on Monday as junior college forward Keith Thomas, the nation’s leading rebounder in the junior college ranks last season, committed to the Red Storm. Thomas announced his decision via his Facebook page and choose St. John’s over his other finalists of Loyola (Chicago) and Fordham.
The 6-foot-8, 230-pound Thomas averaged 15.3 points and 15.7 rebounds last season at Westchester Community College in New York and has at least two years of eligibility remaining, if not three.
According to Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog, Thomas can potentially get a third year of eligibility.
“Yeah, it’s possible if the paperwork goes in right, it’s possible to have three years,” Thomas said to Zagoria.
At the very least, Thomas can give the Red Storm an added interior presence as Steve Lavin’s team returns one of the nation’s leading shot blockers in sophomore Chris Obekpa and redshirt sophomore Christian Jones. St. John’s also added a commitment from high school big man Adonis Delarosa earlier this spring.
With D’Angelo Harrison and Rysheed Jordan both returning in the backcourt, St. John’s now has solid role guys up front in Obekpa (interior defense) and Thomas (rebounding) to help compliment its two all-league caliber guards.
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)