May 5, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
St. John’s added a key addition to their frontcourt on Monday as junior college forward Keith Thomas, the nation’s leading rebounder in the junior college ranks last season, committed to the Red Storm. Thomas announced his decision via his Facebook page and choose St. John’s over his other finalists of Loyola (Chicago) and Fordham.
The 6-foot-8, 230-pound Thomas averaged 15.3 points and 15.7 rebounds last season at Westchester Community College in New York and has at least two years of eligibility remaining, if not three.
According to Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog, Thomas can potentially get a third year of eligibility.
“Yeah, it’s possible if the paperwork goes in right, it’s possible to have three years,” Thomas said to Zagoria.
At the very least, Thomas can give the Red Storm an added interior presence as Steve Lavin’s team returns one of the nation’s leading shot blockers in sophomore Chris Obekpa and redshirt sophomore Christian Jones. St. John’s also added a commitment from high school big man Adonis Delarosa earlier this spring.
With D’Angelo Harrison and Rysheed Jordan both returning in the backcourt, St. John’s now has solid role guys up front in Obekpa (interior defense) and Thomas (rebounding) to help compliment its two all-league caliber guards.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)