May 6, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl’s arrival at Auburn marked his return to the college game following a three-year hiatus. Though, his tenure with the Tigers came with a stipulation.
Pearl can’t have contact with any prospects due to a show-cause penalty. The university decided not appeal the NCAA ruling on April 22. That leaves the spring and summer recruiting to his assistant coaches and Pearl’s reputation as a head coach. That restriction is in place until Aug. 24, and Pearl will quickly attempt to make up for lost time.
Brandon Marcello of AL.com reported that Auburn will host an elite camp for high school recruits the same day his show-cause penalty ends.
Most schools in the SEC hold their camps in June or July, and due to favorable timing, Auburn will barely get its camp under NCAA rules. John Infante of AthleticScholarships.net explains:
NCAA Bylaw 188.8.131.52:
Any institution’s basketball camp or clinic shall be conducted during the months of June, July and August, or any calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) that includes days of those months (e.g., May 28-June 3).
Even with Pearl unable to contact recruits, Auburn has announced the addition of JuCo forward Cinmeon Bowers while also being considered by prized transfers Ian Chiles (IUPUI) and Kareem Canty (Marshall).
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)