May 6, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl’s arrival at Auburn marked his return to the college game following a three-year hiatus. Though, his tenure with the Tigers came with a stipulation.
Pearl can’t have contact with any prospects due to a show-cause penalty. The university decided not appeal the NCAA ruling on April 22. That leaves the spring and summer recruiting to his assistant coaches and Pearl’s reputation as a head coach. That restriction is in place until Aug. 24, and Pearl will quickly attempt to make up for lost time.
Brandon Marcello of AL.com reported that Auburn will host an elite camp for high school recruits the same day his show-cause penalty ends.
Most schools in the SEC hold their camps in June or July, and due to favorable timing, Auburn will barely get its camp under NCAA rules. John Infante of AthleticScholarships.net explains:
NCAA Bylaw 184.108.40.206:
Any institution’s basketball camp or clinic shall be conducted during the months of June, July and August, or any calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) that includes days of those months (e.g., May 28-June 3).
Even with Pearl unable to contact recruits, Auburn has announced the addition of JuCo forward Cinmeon Bowers while also being considered by prized transfers Ian Chiles (IUPUI) and Kareem Canty (Marshall).
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 28
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (30)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)