May 6, 2014, 7:40 PM EST
Bruce Pearl’s arrival at Auburn marked his return to the college game following a three-year hiatus. Though, his tenure with the Tigers came with a stipulation.
Pearl can’t have contact with any prospects due to a show-cause penalty. The university decided not appeal the NCAA ruling on April 22. That leaves the spring and summer recruiting to his assistant coaches and Pearl’s reputation as a head coach. That restriction is in place until Aug. 24, and Pearl will quickly attempt to make up for lost time.
Brandon Marcello of AL.com reported that Auburn will host an elite camp for high school recruits the same day his show-cause penalty ends.
Most schools in the SEC hold their camps in June or July, and due to favorable timing, Auburn will barely get its camp under NCAA rules. John Infante of AthleticScholarships.net explains:
NCAA Bylaw 18.104.22.168:
Any institution’s basketball camp or clinic shall be conducted during the months of June, July and August, or any calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) that includes days of those months (e.g., May 28-June 3).
Even with Pearl unable to contact recruits, Auburn has announced the addition of JuCo forward Cinmeon Bowers while also being considered by prized transfers Ian Chiles (IUPUI) and Kareem Canty (Marshall).
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)