May 6, 2014, 7:40 PM EST
Bruce Pearl’s arrival at Auburn marked his return to the college game following a three-year hiatus. Though, his tenure with the Tigers came with a stipulation.
Pearl can’t have contact with any prospects due to a show-cause penalty. The university decided not appeal the NCAA ruling on April 22. That leaves the spring and summer recruiting to his assistant coaches and Pearl’s reputation as a head coach. That restriction is in place until Aug. 24, and Pearl will quickly attempt to make up for lost time.
Brandon Marcello of AL.com reported that Auburn will host an elite camp for high school recruits the same day his show-cause penalty ends.
Most schools in the SEC hold their camps in June or July, and due to favorable timing, Auburn will barely get its camp under NCAA rules. John Infante of AthleticScholarships.net explains:
NCAA Bylaw 18.104.22.168:
Any institution’s basketball camp or clinic shall be conducted during the months of June, July and August, or any calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) that includes days of those months (e.g., May 28-June 3).
Even with Pearl unable to contact recruits, Auburn has announced the addition of JuCo forward Cinmeon Bowers while also being considered by prized transfers Ian Chiles (IUPUI) and Kareem Canty (Marshall).
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)