May 6, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl’s arrival at Auburn marked his return to the college game following a three-year hiatus. Though, his tenure with the Tigers came with a stipulation.
Pearl can’t have contact with any prospects due to a show-cause penalty. The university decided not appeal the NCAA ruling on April 22. That leaves the spring and summer recruiting to his assistant coaches and Pearl’s reputation as a head coach. That restriction is in place until Aug. 24, and Pearl will quickly attempt to make up for lost time.
Brandon Marcello of AL.com reported that Auburn will host an elite camp for high school recruits the same day his show-cause penalty ends.
Most schools in the SEC hold their camps in June or July, and due to favorable timing, Auburn will barely get its camp under NCAA rules. John Infante of AthleticScholarships.net explains:
NCAA Bylaw 184.108.40.206:
Any institution’s basketball camp or clinic shall be conducted during the months of June, July and August, or any calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) that includes days of those months (e.g., May 28-June 3).
Even with Pearl unable to contact recruits, Auburn has announced the addition of JuCo forward Cinmeon Bowers while also being considered by prized transfers Ian Chiles (IUPUI) and Kareem Canty (Marshall).
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)