May 6, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Jeff Neubauer’s second consecutive 20-win season resulted in a berth in the NCAA tournament, where Eastern Kentucky nearly upset No. 2 seed Kansas.
On Monday evening, the university announced that Neubauer, who has been at the helm since 2005, would receive a contract extension through the 2017-2018 season.
“I am very proud of coach Neubauer and his staff, and the superb job they have done in recruiting the right kind of student-athlete to EKU,” Eastern Kentucky University President Michael Benson said in a statement. “As stellar as Jeff’s win-loss record is, we should all be even more pleased by the fact that the program graduates more than 90 percent of the student-athletes that have exhausted their eligibility during Jeff’s tenure. That is the most important statistic.”
Neubauer is 167-122 in his nine seasons with the Colonels, compiling a 49-20 record over the course of the last two years. The most recent trip to the Big Dance was the second of his coaching tenure; the first since 2007. The Colonels march to the 2014 NCAA Tournament involved defeating the top two teams in the OVC — Murray State and Belmont — in back-to-back days. The Racers and Bears had combined for five tournament appearances since 2010, though, Eastern Kentucky was able to punch its ticket by holding off the two mid-major powers by a combined nine points en route to the OVC Tournament title.
Eastern Kentucky graduates leading score Glenn Cosey this spring, the OVC All-Conference selection who averaged 18.7 points per game. Corey Walden, the team’s second leading scorer, and reigning OVC Defensive Player of the Year, is Neubauer’s top returner.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)