May 6, 2014, 8:21 PM EST
Texas A&M leading scorer Jamal Jones announced that he will transfer, posting an explanation through his personal Twitter account on Tuesday night.
“First off, I wanted to thank A&M, the true fans and my former teammates for their support throughout the year,” he tweeted. “Those things did not make me decide to leave. Y’all were awesome. I’m onto the next opportunity, and I wish everyone in Aggieland the best of luck. I thank God for the blessing thus far and what he has in store for the future.”
The 6-foot-8 junior forward was the only Aggie to average double figures last season at 13.4 points per game.
Texas A&M was his third program in as many seasons, joining the Aggies after a one-year stint at Lee Community College (Texas). He was rated as the No. 5 overall junior college recruit in 2013, according to JuCoRecruiting.com, averaging 18.0 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. He had originally committed to Ole Miss as a three-star recruit as a member of the Class of 2011.
He only appeared in five games for the Rebels during the 2011-2012 season.
The Aggies finished in the bottom half of the conference this past season with an 18-16 (8-10 SEC) record.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)