May 6, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
On Monday night, a police report from the Eugene Police Department, obtained by The Oregonian, revealed that guard Damyean Dotson has been investigated for an alleged forcible rape that occurred in March. Teammates, Dominic Artis and Brandon Austin, were both named in the report.
However, Dotson was not charged due to lack of evidence, according to the Lane County District Attorney. On Tuesday afternoon, the University of Oregon issued a joint statement from Robin Holmes, the vice president of student affairs and Rob Mullens, the athletic director:
The University of Oregon takes all student misconduct that threatens the safety of our students very seriously. We have a clear obligation and responsibility to act in a way that protects all members of our campus community, and our first priority is always to ensure the safety and support of our students.
Questions have arisen regarding the timeliness of the university’s involvement in the matter reported about University of Oregon basketball. Law enforcement agencies often request that the university wait to take action in order to avoid interference with an open criminal investigation. We responded accordingly in this situation. In all cases we begin investigating immediately, and aggressively address situations in accordance with the law, our internal code of conduct, and our commitment and obligation to protect and support our students.
Earlier on Monday, Artis had announced he would transfer following two seasons with the team. Hours later, the university announced that Austin, a transfer from Providence College who has yet to play a collegiate game, and Dotson were no longer with the program.
Dotson and his teammates may not have been prosecuted, but punishments from Dana Altman and the school have already been put into place, beginning with suspensions, and depending on what else the university discovers, those consequences can and will intensify.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)