May 7, 2014, 5:52 PM EST
In seven seasons as the head coach at New Mexico State, Marvin Menzies has won sixty-three percent of his games and led the Aggies to four NCAA tournament appearances. And of those four trips to the NCAA tournament the last three have come in the last three seasons, with New Mexico State falling to San Diego State in overtime in this season’s event.
Wednesday the school announced that it has rewarded Menzies with a two-year contract extension through the 2018-19 season. New Mexico State AD Dr. McKinley Boston said the following about his head coach in the school release announcing the agreement:
“I am pleased to offer Coach Menzies a two-year contract extension based upon the consistent competiveness of his team, consistent academic success of his players and his strong fundraising efforts to help support the teams financials needed to compete at a high Division level,” said Dr. Boston.
New Mexico State will have to account for the departure of 7-foot-5 center Sim Bhullar, who made the decision to enter the 2014 NBA Draft last month. What will help the Aggies are the returns of both guard Daniel Mullings and center Tshilidi Nephawe, who will both be seniors next season.
Mullings, who averaged 16.8 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game as in 2013-14, was named WAC Player of the Year and Nephawe (11.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg) earned second-team All-WAC honors. New Mexico State will also welcome back guard DK Eldridge, who was a WAC All-Newcomer Team selection.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)