May 7, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
In seven seasons as the head coach at New Mexico State, Marvin Menzies has won sixty-three percent of his games and led the Aggies to four NCAA tournament appearances. And of those four trips to the NCAA tournament the last three have come in the last three seasons, with New Mexico State falling to San Diego State in overtime in this season’s event.
Wednesday the school announced that it has rewarded Menzies with a two-year contract extension through the 2018-19 season. New Mexico State AD Dr. McKinley Boston said the following about his head coach in the school release announcing the agreement:
“I am pleased to offer Coach Menzies a two-year contract extension based upon the consistent competiveness of his team, consistent academic success of his players and his strong fundraising efforts to help support the teams financials needed to compete at a high Division level,” said Dr. Boston.
New Mexico State will have to account for the departure of 7-foot-5 center Sim Bhullar, who made the decision to enter the 2014 NBA Draft last month. What will help the Aggies are the returns of both guard Daniel Mullings and center Tshilidi Nephawe, who will both be seniors next season.
Mullings, who averaged 16.8 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game as in 2013-14, was named WAC Player of the Year and Nephawe (11.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg) earned second-team All-WAC honors. New Mexico State will also welcome back guard DK Eldridge, who was a WAC All-Newcomer Team selection.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)