May 7, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
On Wednesday morning, Kentucky announced that the program had signed John Calipari’s three assistant coaches to two-year contracts.
In doing so, Kentucky set the bar for just how much a coaching staff an make in the collegiate ranks.
Kenny Payne, who was promoted to associate head coach, now has a deal with $1 million. He won’t be making that annually — it will be spread out over the two years of his contract — but there are a number of head coaches at NCAA tournament-caliber programs that don’t make that much money. Payne was already making $350,000 annually before he got his $150,000 raise.
John Robic, who has been on staff with Calipari for 15 seasons at UMass, Memphis and now Kentucky, will be making $375,000 a year, as will newly-hired Barry Rohrssen. Rohrssen replaced new South Florida head coach Orlando Antigua, who made $275,000 last season.
The numbers are staggering, and they will surely make folks wonder how a program can afford to pay coaches that much without being able to scrape together full cost-of-attendance scholarships for the athletes. But this is Kentucky. That program is as flush as flush can get. If it was allowed, Cal would certainly make sure that his players got what they deserved.
And, to be frank, the job that his staff has done means that they have earned those salaries. Once Julius Randle and James Young get drafted this year, that will bring the total to 19 Kentucky players getting drafted in his tenure in Lexington. That’s not bad.
May 27, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
This swing is ugly.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)