May 7, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
With all members of a 2014 recruiting class signed by former head coach Cuonzo Martin having been released from their National Letter of Intent, Tennessee head coach Donnie Tyndall had his work cut out for him on the recruiting trail in the days after he made the move from Southern Miss.
But this week has turned out to be a good one for Tyndall with Jabari McGhee and Kevin Punter on board, and according to a report by Ben Frederickson of the Knoxville News it’s gotten even better.
According to Frederickson the Volunteers have landed four-star combo guard Detrick Mostella, who back in 2012 was an Oklahoma State signee. Tennessee represents the third school that Mostella has committed to, with Pittsburgh receiving a pledge last July. Mostella was originally a member of the Class of 2013 before reclassifying, and he attended Notre Dame Prep this year.
With Mostella having signed an NLI already, he won’t be able to sign another with Tennessee. However the grant-in-aid has no such limitation, and as a result Tennessee will be able to make the news official once that process is complete. Mostella is a big addition for Tennessee, which lost three perimeter players from its Sweet 16 team to go along with big men Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon.
A native of Decatur, Ala., Mostella’s been praised by scouts for his athleticism and ability to attack teams off the dribble. Mostella also held offers from programs such as Maryland, Georgetown and Oklahoma State according to 247Sports.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (4)