May 7, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
With all members of a 2014 recruiting class signed by former head coach Cuonzo Martin having been released from their National Letter of Intent, Tennessee head coach Donnie Tyndall had his work cut out for him on the recruiting trail in the days after he made the move from Southern Miss.
But this week has turned out to be a good one for Tyndall with Jabari McGhee and Kevin Punter on board, and according to a report by Ben Frederickson of the Knoxville News it’s gotten even better.
According to Frederickson the Volunteers have landed four-star combo guard Detrick Mostella, who back in 2012 was an Oklahoma State signee. Tennessee represents the third school that Mostella has committed to, with Pittsburgh receiving a pledge last July. Mostella was originally a member of the Class of 2013 before reclassifying, and he attended Notre Dame Prep this year.
With Mostella having signed an NLI already, he won’t be able to sign another with Tennessee. However the grant-in-aid has no such limitation, and as a result Tennessee will be able to make the news official once that process is complete. Mostella is a big addition for Tennessee, which lost three perimeter players from its Sweet 16 team to go along with big men Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon.
A native of Decatur, Ala., Mostella’s been praised by scouts for his athleticism and ability to attack teams off the dribble. Mostella also held offers from programs such as Maryland, Georgetown and Oklahoma State according to 247Sports.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)