May 7, 2014, 11:11 PM EST
With all members of a 2014 recruiting class signed by former head coach Cuonzo Martin having been released from their National Letter of Intent, Tennessee head coach Donnie Tyndall had his work cut out for him on the recruiting trail in the days after he made the move from Southern Miss.
But this week has turned out to be a good one for Tyndall with Jabari McGhee and Kevin Punter on board, and according to a report by Ben Frederickson of the Knoxville News it’s gotten even better.
According to Frederickson the Volunteers have landed four-star combo guard Detrick Mostella, who back in 2012 was an Oklahoma State signee. Tennessee represents the third school that Mostella has committed to, with Pittsburgh receiving a pledge last July. Mostella was originally a member of the Class of 2013 before reclassifying, and he attended Notre Dame Prep this year.
With Mostella having signed an NLI already, he won’t be able to sign another with Tennessee. However the grant-in-aid has no such limitation, and as a result Tennessee will be able to make the news official once that process is complete. Mostella is a big addition for Tennessee, which lost three perimeter players from its Sweet 16 team to go along with big men Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon.
A native of Decatur, Ala., Mostella’s been praised by scouts for his athleticism and ability to attack teams off the dribble. Mostella also held offers from programs such as Maryland, Georgetown and Oklahoma State according to 247Sports.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)